Adoption. Education. Assistance.
- Helps unclaimed stray animals or animals surrendered by their owners find new homes.
- Coordinates an avid group of volunteers who provide shelter animals with socialization, training, and affection.
- Provides public education programs on responsible pet care and ownership and safety with animals to schools and organizations.
- Offers shelter tours to schools and organizations.
- Rescues injured and stray animals.
- Reunites lost pets with their owners.
- Accepts animals from owners if they are no longer wanted or the family is no longer able to care for them due to changes in circumstances.
- Responds to calls about animal welfare or cruelty.
- Enforces Anchorage Municipal Code Title 17 (Animals), including the investigation of dog bites and animal attacks, animal welfare checks and nuisance complaints such as barking.
- Euthanizes animals upon request of the owner
Hours of Operation
The Animal Care & Control Center is open to the public during the following hours:
Monday through Friday 11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.
Saturday and Sunday 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.
Christmas and New Year's Eve, 11:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.
Closed: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Location and Contacts
4711 Elmore Road Anchorage, AK 99507
Customer Service: 343-8122
The Department of Health and Human Services contracts with Animal Licensing and Placement Services, a subsidiary of Doyon Universal Services, JV, to provide domestic animal care and control services to the entire municipality