Owner Surrendering Pets
If you live within the Municipality of Anchorage and are no longer able to keep your pet, you can surrender your animal to Anchorage Animal Care and Control.
We can not guarantee that your animal will be made available for adoption or adopted.
Because it is our goal to adopt behaviorally-sound and healthy animals to the community, all animals are assessed before being placed up for adoption. Based on the assessment there is the possibility that your animal may not be made available for adoption at our shelter.
The following conditions MAY result in your animal's inability to be placed up for adoption:
- Aggression toward humans or other animals.
- The animal is a threat to itself or other animals.
- Unable to safely house or handle.
- History of biting.
- Stress-related behaviors stemming from kenneling/shelter environment.
- Severe health problems.
For animals who cannot be made available for adoption at our shelter, we attempt to place them with a partner rescue organization. However, some animals may be humanely euthanized.
When you arrive or before you bring your animal:
- There is a $25 per animal surrender fee.
- Complete an Owner Surrender form which legally changes ownership of the animal from you to Anchorage Animal Care and Control. This form can be downloaded and completed ahead of time.
- Complete a Personality Profile which provides the information most commonly requested by potential adopters. By completing this form, you will give your animal the best chance of finding a new home that will be a good match for him or her. (These forms can be downloaded and completed ahead of time)
While your animal is with us, he or she will be provided with a warm kennel, bedding, toys, exercise and socialization (by our volunteers).
Animals are often surrendered because a family is frustrated with a specific behavior. Often times, there is help for these behaviors. Here are some online resources that address common behavior concerns:
Pet Behavior Library from Denver Dumb Friends League
Virtual Pet Behaviorist from ASPCA
Pet Behavior Library from the Animal Humane Society
Owner Requested Euthanasia
Animal Care and Control provides low cost euthanasia services for owners in the Municipality of Anchorage that can not afford to have this done elsewhere. We apologize but due to the limitations of providing this service at a low cost, owners are not able to be with their pets when they are euthanized nor is this service available on Sundays or Mondays.
If you bring your pet to us for euthanasia:
- You will be asked to complete an Owner Surrender form which legally changes ownership of the animal from you to Anchorage Animal Care and Control.
- A euthanasia and cremation fee will be assessed based on the pet’s size.
If you have further questions about owner surrendering your animal for adoption or euthanasia, please call Customer Service at 343-8122.