Adopting a Pet
When you adopt a pet from Anchorage Animal Care and Control you are making a lifelong friend as well as giving an animal a new start on life.
All adoptions through Anchorage Animal Care and Control are done on a first-come, first-serve and in-person basis. If you are interested in adopting through us please come down to meet our animals!
- Adoption Application: You can compelte this application before arriving at the shelter to make the adoption process more efficient!
- See our Adoptable Pets here!
- We have a variety of animals for adoption, including:
- Mixed breed and purebred dogs and cats
- Kittens and puppies
- Small animals such as guinea pigs, hamsters and mice
If you adopt from us:
- All dogs and cats must be spayed or neutered by the new owner if they are to leave our facility unaltered. Terms of this condition will be explained by Customer Service at the time of adoption.
- Dogs and cats will have received appropriate vaccinations.
- Cats and dogs will receive a microchip and dogs will receive a Municipality of Anchorage dog license.
- How do pets come to us?
- Stray animals who are not claimed by their family.
- Animals surrendered to us by their family.
- What can we tell you about our adoptable animals?
- If the animal was surrendered by its family, we obtain as much information as possible about their behavior.
- If the animals was a stray we rely on information from our volunteers and staff as they interact with the animal on a daily basis.
- All adoptable animals have passed a behavioral evaluation.
Before you adopt:
Making the decision to bring a pet into your family is a serious commitment. Please consider the decision carefully. To help you out, please see the below articles:
Tips for Adopting a Shy CatAnchorage Animal Care and Control has a large number of shy cats come through our door, which are often overlooked by adopters. However, shy cats can make awesome companions! Here's a video with some tips to help make the transition into your home easier for the cat and for you! We hope you will consider adopting one of our shyer cats.
Hill's Food, Shelter & Love Program
The Anchorage Animal Care and Control Center participates in the Hill’s Food, Shelter & Love Program. You can learn about the Hill's Food, Shelter & Love Program here: