- Low-cost rabies vaccination clinics: suspended due to COVID-19: held the last Thursday of the month, 3:00- 6:00 pm. $5.00 rabies vaccinations for dogs and cats, 4 months and older, who reside in the Municipality of Anchorage. Dogs must have a current MOA dog license. A license can be purchased at the event or online prior to the event.
- Pet Food Bank: Call Customer Service at 343-8122 for service. Let them know if you're in need of dog or cat food or cat litter. M - F 11 am - 6:30 pm and S - S 10 am - 5:30 pm.
- Shelter Cat Storytime (currently suspended): children participate in an animal-themed activity and then read to cats who are sitting in pet strollers. Wednesdays are for readers ages 4 - 7 and Sundays ages 8 - 10. 2:00 - 3:00 pm. Watch our Facebook page for dates and RSVP information.
- Shelter Reading Program*: Young readers are welcome to read to any of our publicly accessable animals during our open hours. Readers may sit in front of the animal's kennel to read to him/her. Readers must be accompanied by an adult.
- Kitten Social Hour (currently suspended): foster parents bring litters of kittens to Providence Health and Services' assisted living facility, Horizon House. Residents cuddle and play with the kittens which helps socialize the kittens. And the kittens bring joy and love to the residents.
- Listening Post (currently suspended): we host volunteers from The Listening Post who offer compassionate listening to anyone who wants to stop in. Volunteers are in our lobby the second and fourth Tuesday, 4 - 6 pm, and first and third Thursday, 11 am - 1 pm. You can learn more about the Listening Post here.
*This program was begun by Ashley Perry, an energetic and driven young lady who wants to make a difference in the world despite facing her own obstacle: Ashley has been diagnosed with Turner syndrome, a disorder which can cause a variety of medical issues. AACC is thrilled to be able to help her meet her goal of establishing reading programs in shelter across the state.
Dog Bite Prevention for K - 5th Grade:
- 30 minute presentation on how to behave around dogs to prevent bites.
- Contact Patricia Vannatter at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a presentation.
- Presentations may be re-scheduled based on driving conditions.
Shelter Tours (Currently Suspended):
- 12 - 15 participants can tour the shelter at one time. If the group is larger than 15, then the other participants can wait in our classroom. If possible, we will have a presenter to speak to the waiting group but if not, please be prepared to bring an activity for the waiting group.
- Tours last approximately 30 minutes.
- Contact Patricia Vannatter at email@example.com to schedule a tour.