Animal Care & Control​

​Location / Contact / Hours

4711 Elmore Road Anchorage, AK 99507
Customer Service: 343-8122 / accs@muni.org
Animal Control Dispatch: 343-8119 / acdispatch@muni.org

Monday through Friday 11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.

Saturday and Sunday 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.​

​Christmas and New Year's Eve:11:00 A.M to 3 P.M if M - F.
10 A.M. - 2 P.M. if  S - S.

Closed: New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents' Day,  Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

Animal Control Advisory Board.

For Animal Control Advisory Board meetings and information, please click here for ACAB web page.​

Anchorage Animal Care and Control serves the entire Municipality of Anchorage, from Girdwood to Eklutna.

We are currently hiring for multiple positions including kennel techs, with a starting wage of $16 an hour. View the job description and apply here.​

Adoptions: Please see our Adoptable Animals web page to view animals available for ad​option. All adoptions are performed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Adopters may complete an online adoption application before coming to the shelter to make the process faster and simpler. Applications can be found on our Adoptable Animals web page. 

Surrendering an animal: Pet owners with healthy and behaviorally-sound pets may want to consider rehoming their pets themselves by using the ReHome service provided by Adopt-a-Pet. By rehoming your pet yourself, he/she can go to their new home without a stay at the shelter which will make the transition much less stressful. 

If you're unable to rehome your pet, please see our Owner Surrender page for more information.

Looking for a lost pet: Please come to the shelter as soon as possible to see the lost pets who have been brought in. If your animal is not here, staff will assist you in the creation of a lost report. Also, see our Lost Pets web page for step-by-step guidance on how to conduct your search.

Found pet: If you've found a lost pet, please see our Lost Pets web page for how you can try to reunite the pet with his/her owner. If you're unable to locate the owner, please bring him/her to us. 

Dog license sales:Dog licenses can be purchased online or in person through a customer service representative. Dog licenses can also be purchased at many local veterinary clinics.

Enforcement questions: Enforcement staff can be contacted at 343-8119. 

Volunteer program: Applications for shelter volunteers are available here​. We're also accepting applications for new foster parents.

Renting of traps for community cats and rabbits:​​ 

  • Renters are responsible for picking up & dropping off the trap from the shelter. 
  • If you've trapped:
    • An animal with a known owner, please return the animal to the rightful owner. If you'd like to file a complaint about the animal being on your property, please contact Enforcement at 343-8119 (you will need to provide the address where the animal lives).
    • A sick or injured domestic animal and don't know where the animal lives. please bring the animal to us.
    • A healthy and safe-to-handle animal, please visit our Lost Pets web page for tips on how to find the owner. If you're unable to locate an owner, you may bring the animal to us. 
​​Pet Food Bank: Our pet food bank is self-serve and located near the front door as visitors enter the shelter. Please be mindful of others when taking from the food bank. If you're unable to find what you need please check with a staff member or volunteer.

Adopt an Animal!

In 2021, we placed 2,564 animals in new homes.

Find your new friend here!

Missing Pets

In 2021, we reunited 987 lost animals with their families.

If your pet is missing or if you’ve found someone’s pet, visit this page for information.

Shelter Stories

Follow us here:


Stories from our Shelter (blog)


The Anchorage Health Department contracts with Animal Licensing and Placement Services, a subsidiary of Denali Universal Services​ to provide domestic animal care and control services to the entire municipality