Animal Care & Control​

​Location / Contact / Hours

4711 Elmore Road Anchorage, AK 99507
Customer Service: 343-8122 / accs@muni.org
Animal Control Dispatch: 343-8119 / acdispatch@muni.org

Monday through Friday 12:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.

Saturday and Sunday 11:00 A.M. to 5​​:00 P.M.​

​Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve:11:00 A.M to 3 P.M if M - F.
10 A.M. - 2 P.M. if  S - S.

Closed: New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents' Day,  Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

Anchorage Animal Care and Control serves the entire Municipality of Anchorage, from Girdwood to Eklutna.

***SHELTER UPDATE: The lack of shelter space in addition to a Parvo outbreak have caused us to make the difficult decision to pause all animal intakes until September 20, 2023, though this may be extended if a new case of Parvo is diagnosed​ . We will not be able to take in any cats or dogs whether they are stray animals or owner surrendered pets. During this time, we acknowledge the difficulty this puts on the community but greatly value your continued support and patience. Adoptions will continue at this time and are highly appreciated, as it not only frees up space in our shelter but gives a pet a new loving forever home. 

For those that are looking to rehome their pe​t we recommend Rehome as a starting point as well as other social media resources. If you find a stray animal, we encourage you to file a found pet report with our customer service team and do your best to either foster or find a temporary foster until the original owner is found or until we open to the public again. Other wonderful pages to post strays would be Anchorage Pets Lost & Found, Lost And Found Pets Alaska, and LostAndFoundPetsAnchorage/Valley​. If you are missing an animal, please check these many resources and stop by the shelter to see if your furry friend is here.

Please feel to call us at (907)343-8122 or email us at accs@muni.org if you have any questions***

Adoptions / Lost & Found Pets / Surrendering an Animal

Dog Licenses - Love your dog with a license!

  • Dog license sales:Dog licenses can be purchased online or in person through a customer service representative. Dog licenses can also be purchased at many local veterinary clinics.

Other Services and Information

  • Enforcement questions: Enforcement staff can be contacted at 343-8119. 
  • Volunteer program: Applications for shelter volunteers are available here​. We're also accepting applications for new foster parents.
  • Renting of traps for community cats and rabbits:​​ 
    • Renters are responsible for picking up & dropping off the trap from the shelter. 
    • If you've trapped:
      • An animal with a known owner, please return the animal to the rightful owner. If you'd like to file a complaint about the animal being on your property, please contact Enforcement at 343-8119 (you will need to provide the address where the animal lives).
      • A sick or injured domestic animal and don't know where the animal lives. please bring the animal to us.
      • A healthy and safe-to-handle animal, please visit our Lost Pets web page for tips on how to find the owner. If you're unable to locate an owner, you may bring the animal to us. 
  • ​​Pet Food Bank: Our pet food bank is self-serve and located near the front door as visitors enter the shelter. Please be mindful of others when taking from the food bank. If you're unable to find what you need please check with a staff member or volunteer.
  • We are currently hiring for multiple positions including kennel techs, with a starting wage of $16 an hour. View the job description and apply here.​
  • Animal Control Advisory Board: For Animal Control Advisory Board meetings and information, please click here for ACAB web page.​

Animal Care and Control Statistics (2022)

  • We reunited 1,033 lost animals with their families.
  • We placed 2,598 animals in new homes.
  • Our volunteers provided 3,452 hous of service.
  • ​We responded to 4,397 calls from the community.
  • ​We assisted an average of 158 households every month through our Pet Food Bank with access to pet food, kitty litter, and other pet supplies.

Connect with Us!



The Anchorage Health Department contracts with Animal Licensing and Placement Services, a subsidiary of Denali Universal Services​ to provide domestic animal care and control services to the entire municipality