Welcome to Environmental Health Services

The Environmental Health Services is open for walk-ins but we encourage you to call ahead so we can ensure the best customer service and that your needs are met by our staff.  

Please call ahead for an appointment at (907)343-4200

The Food Safety & Sanitation Program​ permits, regulates, and inspects over 2,000 public facilities in the Municipality of Anchorage. We also regulate noise, smoking, pests in rental housing, the application of pesticides, and oversee the delivery of training and testing of the Anchorage Food Worker Card.

The Air Quality Program​ is responsible for monitoring and reporting levels of air pollutants, such as carbon monoxide and fine particles within the Municipality of Anchorage. The program also responds to local air quality complaints and is responsible for various air quality projects. For current air quality conditions, call the Air Quality Hotline at (907)343-4899 or view the Air Quality Index daily update page (here​). 

Quick Links:





Health Permits

02/10/2021 Notice of Temporary Waiver of Health Permit Fees for Hospitality Industry: An ordinance of the Anchorage Municipal Assembly was approved temporarily waiving Anchorage Municipal Code (Title 16) permit fees for 2021 for the hospitality industry and certain other food permit users in response to the COVID​-19 public health emergency. Please call (907) 343-4200 if you have questions about health permit fees.​ (See AO 2021-19s here)​​

Health Permits are needed for the following:

  • Food Establishments - All facilities providing food to the public in the Municipality of Anchorage must have a food permit. 
  • Pools/Hot Tubs
  • Beauty/Barber Shops
  • Temporary Food Events
  • Pest Control - Operators who apply pesticides outside of Municipal parks and greenspaces, including privately owned properties must have an pest control health permit. Pesticide applications on municipal parklands must instead be approved by the Parks and Recreation Department.
  • Retail Marijuana
  • Catering
  • Cottage Food Products

Click here to download the application. Print and bring to the office with you.

Complaints or Concerns​

Do you have a complaint or concern about a public facility regulated by Food Safety and Sanitation? Timely reporting is key for a successful investigation. Responding to complaints and concerns is a priority for the Food Safety and Sanitation Program. If you believe you may have become ill as a result of eating food from a public food facility such as a restaurant or from swimming at a public swimming pool or spa in the Municipality of Anchorage please file a complaint online​ or call our office at (907)343-4200 or for weekend or after hours, call (800) 478-0084.

  • For barking dogs please contact Anchorage Animal Care & Control. AACC responds to concerns about barking dogs and/or neglected animals. Their office hours are Mon – Fri 11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M., and Saturday & Sunday 10:00 A.M. – 6:00 P.M.  Please contact their customer service staff directly at (907)343-8122 or accs@muni.org.
  • For noisy neighbors, vehicles, loud music, or after-hours needs please contact the APD non-emergency line: (907)786-8500.

Customer Service Survey

The Municipality of Anchorage Environmental Health Program seeks to have the services we provide meet or exceed the needs and expectations of our customers. By taking this survey you will help us determine what we are doing well and where we can improve customer satisfaction while protecting public health and safety in our community.

Food Safety & Sanitation

Customer Services Section   

Air Quality