If You Have Lost Your Pet
Step One: Start Your Search at AACC
VISIT OUR SHELTER IMMEDATELY. Face coverings are required to receive service.
Step Two: Use our Database and Social Media
Sign up to receive daily emails of animals entering the shelter or who are reported as found by a member of the public.
- You will need to enter:
- A description of your animal, including a recent photo
- Your contact information (Your information may be shared by Customer Service with finders of animals that match your animal's description.)*
Be sure to select "search for similar breeds".
If you select “Do NOT share my information with any shelter", the information you enter will not be uploaded to our database which means we will not be able to contact you if there is a potential match for your lost animal.*
- We recommend contacting Customer Service at 343-8122 to confirm the information uploaded to our database.
- The description and photo of your animal will appear on our website.
- Search our sites for lost animals brought to the shelter:
- Online and social media sites for searching and posting:
*There is NO GUARANTEE that staff will match an animal with your lost companion. Only you can positively identify your companion.
Step Three: Get Professional Advice on How to Search for Your Pet:
Visit Mission Reunite for the best advice on how to conduct your search based on the personality of your animal.
If you find your animal at our shelter:
- You will need proof of ownership to claim your animal
- An impound fee will be charged
- Other charges may apply: boarding, MOA dog license, vaccines, microchip, cat carrier
If You Have Found a Pet
We encourage Good Samaritans who find safe-to-handle stray animals to first attempt to locate the owner using the methods given below:
- If a dog is wearing a digital MOA dog license tag, you can scan the QR-code, call the toll-free number or go to the website (all three can be found on the back of the tag) to get the owner's information.
- If the animal is wearing a tag with a microchip number, you can use the
Universal Pet Microchip Lookup website to get owner information.
- Search the
Show Lost Animals section of our website for an animal that matches the one you found.
- Bring the animal to us so we can scan him/her for a microchip
- Check these online resources for lost pets and post a picture of the animal you found:
If you are unable to locate an owner right away, you can bring the animal to the shelter or choose to foster the pet in your home while continuing to search for the owner. If you foster the animal, post a picture and description to the social media sites listed above and sign
up for daily emails matches for the animal you found. This will also allow you to upload a description and photo of the animal you found to help the owner locate their pet. Contact customer service at 343-8122 if you need assistance with this process.
If you select “Do NOT share my information with any shelter", the information you enter will not be uploaded to our database which will mean potential owners can not see the photo and description you uploaded.
If you've found an animal when the shelter is closed, you can place him/her in the night drop kennels located around the back of the building. Please complete the appropriate paperwork so we know where the animal was found.
AACC Hours: M - F, 11 am - 7 pm and S - S 10 am - 6 pm.