2021 Filing for Office
Filing for office opens January 15, 2021, and closes January 29, 2021.
Candidates may file:
- In person at the Election Center, 619 E. Ship Creek Avenue, Door D, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Note: The Election Center will be closed on Monday, January 18 for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Notary service is available.
- In person at the Municipal Clerk's Office, by appointment only. Please call (907) 243-8683 to make an appointment. Notary service is available.
- By fax at (907) 343-4313. Candidate filing must be notarized.
A Candidate for Municipal office must be …
- a resident of the Municipality of Anchorage, and
- a qualified voter of the Municipality of Anchorage and the State of Alaska,
- among other specific qualifications.
There are very specific steps you must take in order to appear on the Regular Municipal Election ballot as a candidate for office. Municipal and state requirements for filing for municipal office are detailed below.
2021 Filing Packets - available now!
Candidates for Mayor - Filing Packet
Candidates for Anchorage School Board Seats - Filing Packet
Candidates for Boards of Supervisors, including LRSA Seats - Filing Packet
Candidates for Homestead LRSA - Seat A - Filing Packet
Candidates for Homestead LRSA - Seat B - Filing Packet
A Message to Service Area Board of Supervisors, including LRSA Write-ins:
AMC 28.30.020 - Qualifications of candidates for service area board of supervisors; declaration of candidacy required.
*** *** ***
B. - A person who has not filed a declaration of candidacy for a seat on a service area board of supervisors, including as a write-in candidate, in accordance with this section, is disqualified.
C. - For write-in candidates for a seat on a service area board of supervisors, declarations of candidacy shall be filed with the municipal clerk no earlier than 67 days and at least seven days before a regular election, and no earlier than 42 days and at least seven days before a special election.
- Access and print a filing packet (above) for the office for which you would like to declare candidacy.
- File your Declaration of Candidacy along with your POFD Statement with the Municipal Clerk's Office. The first day to file for office is on Friday, January 15, 2021, at 8:00 a.m. The last day to file for office is on Friday, January 29, 2021, by 5:00 p.m.
Please contact the Alaska Public Offices Commission (APOC) directly by calling (907) 276-4176 with any questions regarding the state requirements listed below.
1. Public Official Financial Disclosure (POFD) Statement
All candidates, except candidates for service area boards, must file a POFD Statement online at https://my.alaska.gov/.
After you have completed your POFD Statement, the form must be printed, signed, and included with your municipal filing packet.
2. Candidate Registration Statement or Municipal Exemption Statement
Within seven days of filing a declaration of candidacy for municipal office, candidates must file either a Candidate Registration Statement or a Municipal Exemption Statement online at https://my.alaska.gov/.
Candidate Registration Statement - Must be filed by candidates who will have more than $5,000 in campaign financial activity. Additionally, the candidate is required to file campaign disclosure reports to disclose all campaign financial activity throughout the course of the election.
Municipal Exemption Statement - Must be filed by candidates intending to raise and spend less than $5,000 on campaign activity. In this case, the candidate is exempted from filing campaign disclosure reports.
3. Letter of Intent
Individuals who have not already filed a Declaration of Candidacy with the Clerk's Office must file a Letter of Intent online at https://my.alaska.gov/ before they begin campaigning and raising funds for an election.
For all State of Alaska filing requirements, you may access online filing by logging into your MyAlaska account. If you already have a username and password established for filing your Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) application, you may use the same log-in information for access to candidate disclosure filing. (Otherwise, please visit https://my.alaska.gov/ to register for a MyAlaska account.) After logging into your MyAlaska account, you may access online filing by selecting APOC - Disclosure Forms under Services for Individuals.