The HHAND Commission advises the Mayor and the Assembly on issues related to long and short-term housing, homeless and community development needs in the Municipality and strategies to effect revitalization of lower-income and at risk neighborhoods.
How to Participate
The next HHAND commission meeting is scheduled for April 5, 2023 from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m., via Microsoft Teams or in person at 825 L. Street, Conference Room #423. The monthly HHAND Commission meeting is held on the first Wednesday of the month from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. Meetings are held at the Anchorage Health Department, 825 L Street in conference room #423 and virtually through Microsoft Teams. When special needs/issues arise, the Commission or staff may request an additional meeting or form a sub-committee. All meetings are open to the public.
Click here to join the meeting
Or call in (audio only)
+1 907-519-0237 Conference #: 354 765 748#
- Review and make recommendations on the proposed allocation of all federal, state and municipal revenues targeted for housing and community development programs managed by the municipality.
- Identify and address long- and short-term housing issues in Anchorage, including strategies to stabilize and monitor the housing market, achieve a range of housing options for sale and for rent and cost-effective and socially responsible strategies to preserve or increase the supply of affordable housing.
- Advise the mayor and assembly on policies, practices, and legislation that impacts housing and community development issue, neighborhood revitalization strategies, and progress related to plans and program goals.
- Advise the planning and zoning commission about relevant housing and community development issues and their connection with land use controls.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the housing and community development consolidated plan by providing information and policy advice about municipality’s housing and community development needs and priorities.
- Advise the mayor and assembly as to the infrastructure, facilities, transportation and public services needs of lower income and at risk neighborhoods.
- Facilitate public participation in housing and neighborhood revitalization policies, plans, strategies and programs.
- Coordinate with the Anchorage Continuum of Care in the development and implementation of the Anchorage plan to address homelessness.
- Advise the mayor and assembly on issues related to homelessness.
- Report to the mayor and assembly on the progress of the Anchorage plan to address homelessness. The report shall be presented on or before June 1 of each year and shall include recommendations for specific actions to implement the plan.
- Perform such other duties as the mayor or assembly may delegate from time to time.
HHAND Commission Members
- S J Klein, Chair
- Elsie Crossmon, Secretary
- Jim Crawford
- Kathy Henslee
- Josh Louwerse
- Rosalina Mavaega
- Peggy Rotan
- Stephanie Taylor
- Vacant Seat
The HHAND Advisory Commission has 9 members. This commission shall include a minimum of four (4) members who represent the homeless population, non-profit agencies, public safety, business, school district, government officials, the faith community, lower-income neighborhoods, or charitable organizations. The remainder of the commission shall be composed of members who experience disabilities, and representatives of the following interests: the real estate industry, the banking industry, the multi-family development industry, non-profit housing organizations, homebuilders, or supportive housing providers. The Commission is led by a chairperson and co-chair. Commissioner's three year terms are appointed on a rotating basis, so that a third of the seats come up for appointment or reappointment yearly. To submit an application go to: Commission Seat Application