How Do I Dispose​ of These items?


In general, only wastes generated within the Municipality of Anchorage are accepted.
The above list is informational and is not considered complete. 
Additional information can be obtained from SWS at (907) ​343-6250​ if a particular waste product is not listed.

Ammunition and Explosives

These materials are not accepted at any of the facilities. 
Contact 911 for emergencies​. 

Animal Carcasses

Large animal carcasses may be disposed at Anchorage Regional Landfill. No large animal carcasses will be accepted at the Central Transfer Station. Small, contained animal bones and carcasses (bagged, no juicy bits) are acceptable at CTS.

Animal Feces

Large animal fecal waste will only be accepted at ARL.
Small quantities from small animals are accepted at CTS but must be double-bagged.
Larger commercial disposal needs, unbagged feces must go out to ARL.​


Anti-freeze can be taken to a Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection center (residential only).


Appliances such as washers, dryers, refrigerators & freezers*, hot water heaters and stoves may be brought to CTS and ARL for recycling. No other scrap metals will be accepted and/or segregated as recycling by SWS, but may be accepted as refuse and disposed accordingly.
*Refrigerators and freezers are accepted at CTS and ARL for an additional fee per each unit, which covers the removal of the CFCs (Freon). Doors MUST be removed. (FYI: The same stipulation applies at other scrap metal and waste facilities around town and in the valley). Includes RV coolers & freezers. For other scrap metal disposal or recycling options, please reference the internet. There are several scrap metal businesses in the Port area that will pay for metals.

Asbestos Waste

Asbestos waste is regulated and has detailed handling and disposal requirements.  Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) is only accepted at ARL Wednesdays and Thursdays 9am-4pm (closed 12pm-1pm).​


Asphalt is generally considered construction and demolition debris and is only accepted at the ARL.  

Auto Batteries

All locations accept residential quantities of auto batteries. For residential disposal, 2 auto batteries per day 1st is free, 2nd is $5.


Automobiles are not accepted.  Refer to the metals recycling or scrap/junk yards.

Automobile Parts/Motors

Automobile motors are accepted at ARL only. Other, smaller automotive parts are accepted at all facilities (see Rule of 10 for CTS & GTS). In both cases all fluids must have been drained. Also refer to recycling.

Barbed Wire

Barbed wire is only accepted at ARL and must be cut into 2’ or shorter segments prior to disposal.

Batteries - Large and Small
Car/Truck: recycling bins are maintained at ARL, CTS and GTS.
Several recycling companies also collect batteries.
Lithium, Alkaline, NiCad batteries go to HHW facilities.

Also refer to recycling.

Brush and Land Clearing Waste

Pickup-size loads of brush are accepted at the CTS. Larger loads of brush and land clearing waste are accepted at ARL. Brush must be cut into eight feet lengths.

Butchering Waste

Residential non-commercial butchering waste is accepted at all facilities. Butchering waste must be doubled bagged for disposal at the Central Transfer Station.

Commercial Solid Waste

Wastes generated at a place of business is considered commercial waste. Typical commercial wastes include packing materials, office paper, lunchroom waste, etc.  Chemicals and other similar items should be determined whether they are considered hazardous prior to disposal. 
If hazardous, the items may be handled through the Hazardous Waste Collection Center at the ARL. 
Some materials, such as toner cartridges, can be
recycled through area vendors.

Compressed Gas Cylinders/Fire Extinguishers/Propane Bottles

HHW at ARL & CTS only accepts dryfire extinguishers, helium, and propane.

Construction/Demolition Debris (C & D)​​ ​

C & D is waste material generated during the construction or demolition of a structure. This typically includes wood, bricks, rubble, dry wall, roofing materials tiles, and concrete. This material is accepted at ARL. Loads containing non-ACM related materials that do not exceed material-type or length restrictions areaccepted at CTS. Residential loads at CTS and GTS must not exceed a pickup load size and be less than eight feet in anydirection. Depending on the age of the facility being demolished, care must be taken to determine if any of the materials possibly contains asbestos containing material (ACM). If so, the materials must be handled in accordance with SWS Asbestos Handling Policy.

Contaminated Soils

This material is only accepted at the ARL and is subject to the SWS Contaminated Soils Policy.  *Also, see Dirt & Concrete in this reference guide.

Cooking Oil and Grease

Wastes generated from households are accepted HHW facilities at CTS and ARL. Wastes generated fromnon-household sources must be in containers less than one gallon and must pass the EPA' s Paint Filtertest for liquids at room temperature. Quantities larger than one gallon must be coordinated with ARL staff. Please contact SWS for scheduling.​


Copiers are accepted at all locations as regular waste or can be taken to a materials recycler. SWS recommends that toner and toner cartridges be recycled prior to disposal.

Dirt and Concrete

Not more than a wheel barrel full will be accepted at CTS or GTS. All other loads must got to ARL. Gravel or sand used for traction in parking lots during the winter is ok. Dirt from excavation or demolition sites may be contaminated and will require testing or prior authorization.


The drums must be crushed and have the ends removed prior to disposal and must contain no residue of any hazardous or liquid waste.


Residential customers may dispose of one television per day in their residential trash load at regular disposal rates. Residential customers wanting to dispose of more than one television in a day will be directed to the electronic waste facility located at the Anchorage Regional Landfill. Additional fees apply.

Both computers and the monitors (CRTs) and older tube-style televisions may contain items that are hazardous.  Of note, CRTs contain lead and as such are considered hazardous waste.  

Televisions, computers and/or computer monitors will not be accepted for disposal via curbside collection.

Household Hazardous Waste Hours of Operation:

Anchorage Regional Landfill: Tuesday-Saturday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Central Transfer Station: Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

For additional information please contact SWS at (907) ​343-6250.

Exit Signs

Not accepted at any facilities. Exit signs may contain small amounts of radioactive materials. Please contact the manufacturer for proper handling and disposal.

Fish Processing Waste

Residential, non-commercial fish waste will be accepted at all facilities.  Liquid waste will not be accepted at any of the facilities. All fish waste must be double bagged. Large quantities of waste in excess of a pick-up load should be coordinated with ARL staff for disposal.  Please contact SWS for scheduling information.

Fluorescent Lights/Ballast

Fluorescent lights may contain mercury.  SWS can accept up to 220 pounds per month, or approximately 350 bulbs, from any customer or business.  Larger quantities may require testing for mercury. 
Light Ballasts   - Light ballast's may contain PCBs.  Unless the ballast is labeled as "non-PCB containing," the ballast is assumed to contain PCBs and is not acceptable for disposal at any of the facilities.  Contact SWS for additional information. Also, refer to recycling.

Hazardous Waste

Hazardous wastes are strictly prohibited from disposal.  These include any waste that is toxic, reactive (oxidizers), flammable or corrosive (acids/alkalines).  This also includes any EPA listed wastes.  Refer to the Household Hazardous Waste Center or contact SWS for additional information.

Household Solid Waste

Wastes generated from a household, except hazardous waste, are generally acceptable for disposal at all locations.

Industrial Process Waste

Wastes generated from industrial or manufacturing  processes must be first determined to be non-hazardous and must not be a liquid prior to evaluating the ability for disposal.

Lawn Mowers

Lawn mowers are accepted at all facilities.  All gas and oil must be drained from the engine prior to disposal. 

Liquid Waste

Liquid waste is any waste material that does not pass the EPA's Paint Filter Test.  Liquid waste is prohibited in accordance with the Liquid Restriction Policy and Federal and State Regulations.
Some liquid wastes are accepted at HHW facilities.

Medical Waste

Only treated medical waste is accepted at  ARL in accordance with the Medical Waste Disposal Policy. Untreated medical waste is strictly prohibited for disposal.  Contact SWS for additional information. Diabetic needles generated from home use can be disposed of in a puncture-proof container with the lid duct taped to it, such as a laundry detergent container.  For disposal options for prescription and over the counter medications, see "Pharmaceuticals and Medications."

Neon Signs

Please contact the manufacturer for proper handling and disposal.  Older lights may contain PCBs within the transformer.


Paint can be water based, latex or oil based.  In all cases, paint will likely be considered a Liquid Waste and disposal is restricted.
Latex or water-based paints that are dried out can be disposed of with normal waste. Oil-based paints are a regulated hazardous waste and are prohibited from being  disposed of at HHW facility. Paints are accepted at the HHW.  Contact SWS for additional information.

Pharmaceuticals and Medications

Do not flush medications or pharmaceuticals down the toilet or wash them down the drain. This includes prescription and nonprescription medications intended to be swallowed, inhaled, injected, applied to the skin or eyes, or otherwise absorbed by the body. Anchorage Water & Wastewater Utility’s wastewater treatment facilities are not designed to filter out pharmaceuticals and medications. Participate in your pharmacy’s medication take-back program if it has one. If it does not, remove unneeded or expired medication from its original container and mix it with an undesirable substance (e.g., cat litter, coffee grounds, sawdust etc.) to discourage consumption by others and dispose of it in the trash. 
Anchorage also hosts a one-day collection event twice a year (typcially April and October) for unused and expired pharmaceuticals with drop-off locations at several local grocery stores.  Some pharmacies have drug take back deposit boxes
Visit for information about these events and their locations.

Product Piping

These materials are handled in accordance with the SWS Contaminated Soils Policy.

Radioactive Waste

Radioactive/Nuclear waste is strictly prohibited for disposal.  Additional questions regarding the proper handling and disposal should be forwarded to the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission at (800) 368-5642.

Railroad Ties

These materials may be subject to testing to determine if they are non-hazardous under the EPA TCLP test.  Household generated quantities will not require testing.  All materials must be no longer that eight feet in any direction.  Contact SWS at for additional information.

Refrigerators/Freezers/Air Conditioners

Appliances such as washers, dryers, fridges, freezers, and stoves may be brought to CTS and ARL for recycling. No other scrap metals will be accepted and/or segregated as recycling by SWS, but may be accepted as refuse and disposed accordingly.
*Refrigerators and freezers are accepted at CTS and ARL for an additional fee per each unit, which covers the removal of the CFCs (Freon).​
There are other local scrap metal disposal or recycling options. MUST BE EMPTIED AND DOORS REMOVED

Septage & Honey Buckets

Septage is not accepted at any of the facilities.  For information on disposal of Septage, contact AWWU.

Smoke Alarms

Some smoke alarms can contain small amounts of radioactive material.  Contact the manufacturer for proper disposal instructions.

Snow Machines

Snow machines are accepted for disposal at ARL and CTS only. All snow machines must have all fluids ​drained and batteries must be removed.

Storage Tanks

Storage tanks are handled similarly to drums. No residues of hazardous or liquid wastes may be presentand the ends of the tank must be removed, and the tank must be crushed. Disposal of large tanks thatrequire additional handling should be coordinated with ARL staff.


Tires are accepted at all the facilities. If the quantity exceeds ten tires, the tires must be disposed at theARL. Customer must remove rims prior to disposal. Also refer to recycling

Trailers/Mobile Homes

These are only accepted at the ARL. For rate and handling information contact SWS Customer Service (907) ​343-6250.

Treated Timbers

Treated timbers, similar to railroad ties, must demonstrate that they are non-hazardous by passing the EPA's TCLP test.  Size is limited to eight feet in any direction.  Acceptance is on a case by case basis.  Contact SWS at (907) 343-6262 for additional information.

Used Oil and Grease

All facilities maintain a collection point for recycling of used engine oil.  Households are limited to disposal of less than 5 gallons per visit free of charge.  Up to 10 gallons will be accepted at CTS with an additional charge of $1.00 per gallon for quantities over the initial 5 gallons.

[Top of Page]