R-4A Zone Mixed-Use Text Amendment
This project updates and simplifies the mixed-use zoning regulations in Title 21 for the R-4A zoning district, the densest residential zoning district in Anchorage outside of Downtown.
This Title 21 text amendment aims to achieve the following:
- Consolidate and simplify the R-4A district's development standards.
- Allow a higher proportion of commercial uses in residential mixed-use developments without extra reviews.
- Allow a wider range of commercial uses that contribute to the urban mixed-use residential context.
- Supplement the minimum housing density requirement with incentives to provide even more housing.
- Enable phased developments to construct some commercial space prior to the accompanying residential uses.
- Vary design standards by primary and secondary street frontages, with more lenient standards on secondary frontages.
- Simplify the process for increasing building heights while reducing shadowing.
This project helps carry out Action 3-1 of the Anchorage 2040 Land Use Plan to “Amend Title 21 to simplify zoning regulations for mixed-use projects relative to commercial or other projects."
Project contact: Daniel Mckenna-Foster at 907-343-7918 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Project Update: September 15, 2021
A Public Hearing Draft of the R-4A district amendment is expected to be released for public review in the 4th quarter of 2021, and heard at the Planning and Zoning Commission in January 2022.
Previous Draft Materials: 2020 Community Discussion Draft
A community discussion draft of the R-4A zone mixed-use text amendment underwent public review and comment in 2020. The public review materials are provided below. The public comments received on the 2020 draft materials below were used in the preparation of the forthcoming 2021 Public Hearing Draft.
Return to the main Anchorage 2040 Implementation page.