R-4A Zone Mixed-Use Text Amendment Project Page
Project Update: May 2023
- A.O. 2023-42 is scheduled to be heard before the Assembly for public hearing on May 9, 2023.
- The Planning & Zoning Commission voted to approve a resolution recommending the R-4A proposal for approval on October 3, 2022.
- A Public Hearing Draft of the R-4A district amendment was discussed at the January 10, 2022 Planning & Zoning Commission work session and also heard at the February 7, 2022 regular meeting.
R-4A Zone Mixed-Use Text Amendment
This project updates and simplifies the mixed-use zoning regulations in Title 21 for the R-4A zoning district, the highest capacity residential zoning district in Anchorage outside of Downtown.
This Title 21 text amendment aims to achieve the following:
- Consolidate and simplify the R-4A district's development standards.
- Allow a higher proportion of commercial uses in residential mixed-use developments without extra reviews.
- Allow a wider range of commercial uses that contribute to the urban mixed-use residential context.
- Supplement the minimum housing density requirement with incentives to provide even more housing.
- Enable phased developments to balance commercial and residential uses.
- Allow different types of housing units to achieve a minimum of 20 dwelling units per acre.
This project helps implement Action 3-1 of the Anchorage 2040 Land Use Plan to “Amend Title 21 to simplify zoning regulations for mixed-use projects relative to commercial or other projects."
Current Project Materials:
Previous Draft Materials: 2020 Community Discussion Draft
A community discussion draft of the R-4A zone mixed-use text amendment underwent public review and comment in 2020. The public review materials are provided below. The public comments received on the 2020 draft materials below were used in the preparation of the forthcoming 2021 Public Hearing Draft.
Return to the main Anchorage 2040 Implementation page.