How Can We Help You?


Frequently Asked Questions

Q.    When do I vote in 2017?

The Municipality of Anchorage 2017 Regular Municipal Election is April 4, 2017.

Q.    When does the Municipality of Anchorage conduct elections and what hours are the polling places open?

Municipality of Anchorage elections are held every year on the first Tuesday in April for the regular election & the first Tuesday in May for the run-off election, if required.

Polling places are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Q. When are the State and Federal elections held?

State and Federal primary elections are held in even numbered years on the fourth Tuesday in August.   State and Federal general elections are held in even numbered years on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.  For information on State and Federal elections, visit the State of Alaska, Division of Elections website or call 907-522-8683(VOTE).

Q.    Who is eligible to vote in an Anchorage election?

Persons who are qualified to vote in state elections and have been registered to vote at an address within the Municipality of Anchorage for at least 30 days prior to the election are eligible to vote.  If you have moved, be sure to turn in a voter registration form with the changes.  This must be done no later than 30 days in advance of the election. Please verify the changes have taken place by contacting the State of Alaska Elections office at 907-22-8683 or If you are unable to make these changes in time you will have to vote a question ballot.

Q.    When must I register to vote to participate in an election?     

You must register to vote no later than 30 days before an election.

Q.    Do I have to register for each election?

No. If you are registered to vote in state elections, you are also registered to vote in local elections. Your registration remains active as long as you remain a resident of Alaska in good standing.

Q.    How old must I be to register to vote?     

You may register anytime within 90 days immediately preceding your 18th birthday. Persons older than 18 may register at anytime.

Q.    What do I do if my residence address has changed?  

To vote in your correct precinct for an election, you must update your registration no later than 30 days before an election by turning in a voter registration form with all of your updated information. You may also vote a question ballot at your new polling location which at the same time updates your voter registratiion.

Q.    Where is my polling place?     

To find your polling place, before the election please call the Polling Place Locator at 907-269-8683 or 1-888-383-8683.  Using your computer, go to Polling Place Locator and enter your residence address.

Q.    What Identification will I need to bring to my polling place?

When entering your polling place, the election worker will ask you for a piece of identification. The following documents may be used for identification:

  • signed voter ID card, driver's license, state ID card, or military ID card;
  • passport, hunting or fishing license; or
  • other current or valid photo identification.

You may also present one of the following forms of identification if it includes your name and current address:

  • current utility bill or pay check;
  • government check or bank statement; or
  • other government issued document.

After presenting identification, you will sign your name on the precinct register. When doing this, check your residence address listed. If your residence address is incorrect, tell the election worker and vote a questioned ballot. This will allow the Division of Elections to update your voter registration record with your correct residence address

If you do not have identification or your name does not appear on the precinct register, you must vote a questioned ballot.

Q.    I WANT TO VOTE EARLY or I'm not sure I'll be in town on Election Day.  How do I get an absentee ballot?

Absentee in Person or early voting starts 15 days before the election. For additional information on Absentee in Person and voting early, please call 907-243-VOTE (8683).  Early Voting and Absentee in Person locations can be found on the last page of  the polling place list.

You can also Vote by Mail!  First request an  Application for an Absentee by Mail ballot, as quickly as possible. Applications for ballots to be mailed must be received by the Clerk's Office at least seven days before Election Day. If you would like us to mail you the form, please contact the Municipal Clerk's Office at 907-243-VOTE (8683).

Q.    If I am unable to go to the polls on Election Day due to  serious illness or a disability, how may I vote? 

Absentee by Mail is a great option to use as explained above, or

Special Needs Voting is available for:

  • Any qualified voter who is an admitted inpatient in a hospital on Election Day may request delivery of a special needs ballot by an election official by calling the 907-243-VOTE (8683) by 10:00 a.m. Election Day.
  • A qualified voter with a disability, who is unable to go to a polling place to vote, may request pick-up and delivery of a special needs ballot through a personal representative the voter has selected.  Special Needs ballots are available for pick up by the voter's selected personal representative at polling places on election day; and at Absentee in Person locations. 

Q. How do I cancel my voter registration in Alaska?

Click here to find out how to cancel your voter registration in Alaska.

For all Municipal Voting Information Call 907-243-VOTE (8683) or e-mail us at

Follow us:
Twitter Facebook
    • Elections
    • Municipal Clerk: Barbara A. Jones
    • 632 W 6th Avenue, Suite 250, Anchorage, AK 99501
    • 907 243-VOTE(8683)