Anchorage Bowl Land Use Plan Map Update Community Discussion Draft
Project Information Center
We are pleased to present a community discussion draft of the proposed new Anchorage Bowl Land Use Plan Map.
See the Public Review Schedule below for information about upcoming meetings and events, as well as an overview of the complete project schedule. Written public comments on the Community Discussion draft are due by September 16, 2005.
This Community Discussion Draft represents the starting point of the public planning process for revising Anchorage's Land Use Plan Map, last updated in 1982.
What is the Anchorage Bowl Land Use Plan Map?
The purpose of Anchorage's Land Use Plan Map is to provide a guide for future growth and development, and achieve the policies of the Anchorage Bowl Comprehensive Plan.
The Land Use Plan Map helps to ensure that Anchorage’s growing population will have adequate housing, employment and recreation opportunities in the future. Public officials, property owners and citizens use the Land Use Plan Map as a tool when making decisions about future development.
Key characteristics of the Land Use Plan Map:
- It is an essential element of the Anchorage Bowl Comprehensive Plan.
- It designates the location, type and intensity of future residential, commercial, industrial and institutional development.
- It covers all areas of the Anchorage Bowl.
- It provides long-term guidance for the next 20 years and beyond.
- It is not a zoning map; rather, it provides guidance and a legal basis for future changes to the city’s zoning map.
Why revise the Land Use Plan Map now?
It is out of date, last revised in 1982. An update is needed to align it with the rest of the Anchorage 2020 Comprehensive Plan, adopted by the Assembly in 2001.
An updated Anchorage Bowl Land Use Plan Map is needed now to provide a framework for individual neighborhood plans.
An updated Land Use Plan Map will assist in the review of the draft Title 21 Land Use Regulations, by indicating where proposed zoning districts may apply.
How is the revision happening?
- In 2004 and early 2005, the Planning Department conducted an intensive review of land use data, emerging trends and adopted Comprehensive Plan policies for future growth and development. Using this information, it has crafted a community discussion draft Land Use Plan Map.
- Community review of the first draft occurs in July, August and September. The due date for submitting written comments is September 16, 2006.
- A second draft is scheduled for release at the end of November 2005 for more public input.
- Public hearings of the Assembly and the Planning and Zoning Commission are scheduled for early spring 2006.
- Final approvals are anticipated in 2006.
Public Review Schedule / Upcoming Events
A public hearing draft Land Use Plan Map is scheduled for release on December 1, 2005. The Planning Department is currently developing a public outreach and participation program for the coming public review stage of the project.
Community Discussion Draft Documents for Review
Anchorage Bowl Land Use Plan Map Narrative Report
Land Use Plan Maps (11" x 17")
Land Use Plan Maps (34" x 44")
These files are very large and may take a few minutes to open.
Comments on the community discussion draft Land Use Plan Map will be posted here as they are received.
- Planning Department
- P.O. Box 196650
- Anchorage, Alaska 99519
Phone: (907) 343-7921
Fax: (907) 343-7927