Anchorage 2040 Land Use Plan Implementation Projects
Current News - June 12, 2018
Adopted 2040 Plan
The adopted Anchorage 2040 Land Use Plan is available. After a 2.5-year public process, the Anchorage Assembly approved the Planning Commission’s recommended draft plan in September 2017. The Assembly made 18 amendments, which are included in the final adopted plan.
2018 Implementation Projects
Page 96 of the 2040 Plan shows the near-term actions to take in order to achieve the housing, neighborhoods, and mixed-use centers envisioned in the plan. Below are 5 upcoming projects, with participation opportunities, to carry out some of the 2040 actions. These projects make changes to Anchorage's development regulations for housing and mixed-use:
- PARKING REDUCTIONS BY-RIGHT: This project streamlines approvals for a reduced number of parking spaces for housing developments, and creates some additional reductions. (carries out 2040 Action 4-3)
- COMPATIBLE-SCALE INFILL HOUSING: This project amends a 2.5-story height limitation in the R-2M zone, potentially replacing with a step-back in height from neighbors' lot line, along with other neighborhood protections. (helps carry out 2040 Action 4-4)
- ADDITIONAL HOUSING BY DESIGN: This project amends development regulations to create more compact infill housing opportunities, in the R-3 and R-2M zones. Includes allowing one or two more units on some lots, subject to neighborhood compatibility standards. (helps carry out 2040 Action 4-4)
- MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT: This project simplifies regulations for residential mixed-use projects in the commercial zones and in the R-4A district. It also revises the existing CCO overlay zone to better implement designated Town Centers. (carries out 2040 Actions 3-1 and 3-5)
- REINVESTMENT FOCUS AREAS (RFAs): This project establishes an RFA selection procedure, with approval by the Anchorage Assembly and new incentives for reinvestment in RFAs. Also initiates the first RFA, potentially in Spenard/Midtown. (carries out 2040 Actions 2-2 and 2-3)
- RE-CODE DOWNTOWN: This project updates the land use development code for Downtown Anchorage. It is likely to get underway later in 2018 or in 2019. (carries out 2040 Actions 2-2 and 2-3)
Other 2040 actions may be taken by other agencies, such as transportation plans and investments by AMATS.
Bookmark this page and participate in these upcoming 2040 LUP implementation projects.