Anchorage 2040 Land Use Plan Implementation Projects
Current News - April 17, 2018
Adopted 2040 Plan
The final adopted Anchorage 2040 Land Use Plan is available. The Anchorage Assembly approved the Planning and Zoning Commission’s recommended draft of the plan on September 26, 2017. The Assembly made 18 amendments to the Commission's draft before adopting it. The final adopted version includes the Assembly amendments.
2018 Implementation Projects
Page 96 of the 2040 Plan summarizes the near-term actions to take in order to achieve the kinds of housing, neighborhoods, and mixed-use centers envisioned in the plan. Information on the following upcoming efforts, including participation opportunities, will be available soon:
- Adjustments to regulations for residential PARKING REDUCTIONS (carries out 2040 Action 4-3):
- Allow some parking reductions by right, and offer greater reductions in key development areas.
- Changes to development regulations for INFILL HOUSING (helps carry out 2040 Action 4-4):
- Amendment to 2.5-story height limitation in R-2M zone, potentially replacing with a step-back in height from side lot line.
- Amendment to minimum lot size for multi-family projects in R-3 zone to allow one or two more units, subject to neighborhood compatibility criteria.
- Improvements to zoning regulations for MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT (carries out 2040 Actions 3-1 and 3-5):
- Simplify regulations for mixed-use projects in B-1A, B-1B, B-3, and R-4A zones.
- Revise the Commercial Center Overlay zone to better implement designated Centers.
- Activating REINVESTMENT FOCUS AREAS (RFAs) (carries out 2040 Actions 2-2 and 2-3):
- Establishes a process for RFA selection, with approval by the Assembly.
- Includes new incentives for housing projects.
- Initiates the first RFA, potentially in Spenard/Midtown.
- New development code for DOWNTOWN (carries out 2040 Actions 2-2 and 2-3:
- This project continues into 2019.
Other 2040 actions may be taken by other agencies, such as transportation plans and investments by AMATS.
Bookmark this page and participate in these upcoming 2040 LUP implementation projects.