​Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of a fire record or medic record?

All requests for incident reports or medical records must be submitted in writing.  Please use the appropriate forms:

Incident Report Request​​​

Medical Record Request

Depending on the complexity or the status of the fire incident, due to an investigation or other factors, there may be a delay in the release of a report but the Department will be in contact with you. There is no charge for a Fire Incident Report or Medical Record. 

If you have questions or need assistance, please call 267-5076 for EMS Record Requests and 267-4942 for Fire Incident Report Requests. ​Do NOT call the records custodian lines to report a live/active fire or medical emergency. CALL 911 for emergencies.​

Who do I call if I think a building is a fire hazard?

Our Fire Prevention Office will answer your questions at 267-4901. You need to provide the address of the building and the owner or manager's name, if you have it. You also need to provide your name and contact phone number. 

What is my fire insurance rating? My insurance company wants to know where the nearest fire hydrant and station is.

The Anchorage Area has an ISO rating of Class 1 for homes within 5 miles of a recognized fire station.  Homes outside this range are considered Class 10.  Use the instructions below to locate the closest fire hydrant and station.

Locating the Nearest Fire Station:

1.       Go to http://www.muni.org/

2.       Click Maps icon

3.       Click Fire Department Information icon

4.       Enter address in the search field located in the upper left corner

5.       Click responding fire station icon


Locating the Nearest Fire Hydrant:

1.       Go to http://www.muni.org/

2.       Click Maps icon

3.       Click Utilities icon

4.       Click AWWU Gallery icon

5.       Click Hydrants icon

Enter address in the search field.

How do I get a fire plan review?

Contact Building Safety, Permit Counter at 4700 Elmore Road. You need to submit three sets of plans and fill out an application form. Fire Plan Review checks plans for fire alarms, sprinklers, hood & ducts, and other fire protection systems. They also review all commercial structure plans, from triplexes on up. Give them a call at 267-4901.

Is Today a Burn Day?

You must call the Anchorage Fire Department Burn Information Hotline at 267-5020 to determine if it is an approved recreational burn day.  This hotline also has pre-recorded burning information. For more information, call the AFD Wildfire Mitigation Office at 267-4902 or click here.

Whom do I call with a non-emergency question? 

General information can be reached at 267-4936. Fire Prevention (including inspectors) is 267-4901.

Can I ride on a fire truck?

Fire Department personnel have special training that they go through. Without that special training, people can easily get injured by riding the trucks. At this time, we do not allow civilians to ride on the fire rigs. Trained emergency services professionals may be permitted to ride along with AFD crews, under the sponsorship of an authorized agency.  Please call 267-5002 for more information about AFD's Rider Program.

Where can I get a job application as a firefighter?

The Municipality of Anchorage conducts its application process online.  If you do not have access to a computer, you may contact the Employment Office at (907) 343-4453. See Employment Opportunities for more details.

Does your Department use volunteers?

Our Department is all full-time paid employees. We have no volunteers. Both Chugiak and Girdwood have volunteer departments and provide excellent training. Chugiak Fire Station's # is 694-2010. Girdwood's # is 783-2511.

What is Community Right to Know (CRTK)?

This is a federally-mandated program that keeps track of hazardous materials and the amounts on specific sites in the Anchorage area. All businesses are required to file CRTK forms yearly, with an updated inventory. Fees are assessed on amounts over a certain limit. This information assists our Department in pre-fire planning for your area. More information at 267-4901.

Who do I call if my child is playing with fire?

We have a great "Fire Stoppers" program specifically geared towards children and adolescents. We can provide fire education and referrals for children that need a little more help. See our FireStoppers page.

When can I use my outdoor fireplace?

Recreational fires contained within an approved outdoor fireplace or barbecue grill do not require a permit if it has a total area of 3 feet or less in diameter and 2 feet or less in height. It must be situated 15 feet or more from a structure. These devices are required to have a spark arrestor, chimney stack or screen over the top. The unit must be elevated off the ground at least 12 inches. These contained fires are allowed if burning is not approved for open fires at 267-5020 or click Is Today a Burn Day.

Can I cook with a Barbecue Grill on my apartment's balcony?

Every year, residential complexes suffer severe damage or loss from fires that begin with an open-flame cooking device being operated on a balcony.  Anchorage has seen several of these incidents.  Rules governing the operation of open-flame cooking devices, such as barbecue grills, are found in the 2012 International Fire Code, which the Municipality of Anchorage Fire Department enforces under deferral from the State Fire Marshal.

Please note: these rules apply only to multi-family structures larger than a duplex.  The Fire Code does not prevent the use of cooking devices on the decks of single-family and two-family dwellings.

According to Section 308.1.4 of the International Fire Code, the operation or storage of a charcoal burner, or any other open-flame cooking device, is prohibited on combustible decks and balconies.  In addition, these devices shall not be used anywhere within 10 feet of combustible construction, which could include a nearby wall, overhang, patio fence, railing, or the deck above your own deck or patio. Any cooking device using propane fuel is subject to the same rules.  Similarly, pellet grills and smokers may not be used on combustible decks or within 10 feet of combustible construction unless the area is protected by an automatic sprinkler system.
Electric grills are acceptable (e.g., George Foreman style electric grill) ,however, we would caution that you use a properly grounded electrical outlet with a GFI circuit, and refrain from using an extension cord, especially through the door to the deck.

If you have further questions about using cooking devices on multi-family dwelling balconies, please call the Fire Prevention Office at 267-4901

What types of activities require an operational permit?

The International Fire Code requires an operational permit for certain types of activities.   An operational permit is required if you are going to have over 1000 people gathering in the Municipality of Anchorage in a public place, or if you have other special hazards with large groups, such as pyrotechnics, open flames inside buildings, or tents over 200 square feet.  Other hazards may trigger the need for an operational permit.  Call 267-4901 for details.  Click Here​ to download the application form.  You can fill it out and fax it to 907-267-4958. An inspector will contact you within 10 days to discuss it.  Please provide at least two weeks' notice before your event.

Can I use fireworks and sparklers in Anchorage?

All fireworks, including sparklers and bottle rockets, are illegal in the Municipality of Anchorage and the use of fireworks is punishable with a fine of up to $300.00.  Anchorage Municipal Code 14.70.180 states:

A.   It is unlawful for any person to knowingly sell, possess, or use any explosive fireworks or stench bomb to which fuses are attached or which are capable of ignition by matches or percussion, without permission of that municipal official charged with issuing permits for such activities. This section does not apply to sale, possession, or use of highway or other warning flares, or of ammunition for firearms, unless used for other than their intended purposes.

B.   It is unlawful for any person to advertise for sale any explosive fireworks or stench bomb to which fuses are attached or which are capable of ignition by matches or percussion without a specific declaration in the advertising stating: "it is unlawful for any person to sell, possess or use fireworks within the Municipality of Anchorage. AMC 14.70.180"

C.   Violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $300.00.