Emergency Preparedness for Pets
Pets are part of the family, you must plan for them in an emergency
Pets can be planned for almost the same as people. Consider the following steps when planning for your pet:
Step 1: Have an evacuation plan for your pet.
Step 2: Develop a buddy system. plan with neighbors, friends or relatives to make sure someone is available to care for or evacuate your pets if you cannot do so.
Step 3: Microchip your pet. Make sure your address is updated and include contact information for a contact outside of your immediate area.
Step 4: Make sure your pets' vaccines are updated
Step 5: Create a kit for your pet
Large Animal Preparedness
If you have animals such as horses, goats, llamas or pigs on your property, be sure to prepare before a disaster.
In addition to the items above consider:
- Ensure animals have a form of identification (ear tag, collar, etc.)
- Evacuate animals earlier. Map out primary and secondary routes in advance
- Have vehicles and trailers for transporting and supporting animals
- Have experienced handlers and drivers for animals
- Ensure destination has food, water, veterinary care and handling equipment
- If evaucation is not possible, animal owners must decide whether to move animals to a barn or turn them loose outside