Residential Building​ Permits

Residential building permits apply to 1 and 2 family dwelling units.​​

There are 2 different types of Residential permits:

  • Inside the Building Safety Service Area (BSSA) - Any owner or authorized agent intending to construct, enlarge, large, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building, structure or portion thereof, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the install of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit unless work is specifically exempted​ by this code.
  • Outside the Building Safety Service Area (BSSA) - Land use permits are required for new buildings, additions, a change in use/occupancy of the structure.


Checklist for new residential additions

  1. Completed residential worksheet
  2. 2 sets of drawings signed by the person who performed the structural calculations
  3. One set of calculations to match the drawings
  4. Two plot plans sealed by an Alaska registered Land Surveyor
  5. Stormwater​ handout AG.21​ completed​
  6. Map of the Building Safety Service Area