South Anchorage Sports Park: Phase 1 Improvements 2016-17
The South Anchorage Sports Park is a 65 acre sports complex located off of C Street and W Klatt Road in South Anchorage.
In 1997, the Municipality acquired the former Klatt family homestead in a land exchange. The property was dedicated park land and in 1998 a master plan was adopted.
In the years that followed, parking lots, ball fields and other amenities were added to the park. However,development in many areas of the park have been limited by challenging soils and a lack of utilities infrastructure. Today, the South Anchorage Sports Park has one American Legion baseball field, two little league fields, a RC track, a dog park, and paintball fields.
In 2014, Anchorage Parks and Recreation worked with community members and user groups to update the master plan for the South Anchorage Sports Park. The updated master plan identifies improvements and provides a framework for future development of the park over the next 20 years. As funding becomes available, the master plan will be developed in phases.
In 2016, Parks and Recreation completed engineering and design to implement the first phase of development as outlined in the approved master plan.
Parks and Recreation will continue to work with focus user groups from the local community on future design development improvements for the next phases of development.
The proposed Phase 1 improvement plan was presented for public comments at the Park and Recreation Commission on January 14, 2016 and at the Bayshore/Klatt Community Council meeting on January 28, 2016. The final improvement plan was adopted by the Urban Design Commission May 11, 2016.
Phase 1 Improvement Plan
The 2016-2017 development project includes (see side bar for links to graphics, etc):
- NEW PLAYGROUND! This exciting fully inclusive playground includes artificial turf throughout, a custom 30' tall "Luna" net climber; two custom 25' long roller slides built into a hill; 3-bay swing set with 2 belt seats, 2 tot seats and a "Hoopla" swing seat that holds up to 6 users; a "Globe Spinner"; musical instruments, a fully accessible sand pit, cozy cocoons, and a custom apple themed climber/slide structure for the toddlers!
- Picnic shelter with BBQ grill;
- New accessible ADA parking lot;
- Lighting along the access road and in all parking lots;
- Soft-surface trails, including north-south park connection and loop in off-leash dog park area;
- Dog park area with fenced "small dog" area (8/10th of an acre), and a partially enclosed off-leash area with a looped soft-surface trail;
- Relocated remote control (RC) track;
- New landscaping through out entire park;
- Asphalt repairs and painting on all driving surfaces;
- Water and Sewer utility connections to Municipal services.
Construction of the Phase 1 improvements began during fall of 2015 with the installation of water and sewer utilities. The construction continues on Phase 1 will finish in late summer 2017.
Please follow this page and our Parks Facebook page Parks Facebook page for construction updates. Construction drawings graphics, schedule and more information is available on the sidebar link.