R-4A Zone Mixed-Use Text Amendment
This project updates and simplifies the mixed-use zoning regulations in Title 21 for the R-4A zoning district, the densest residential zoning district in Anchorage outside of Downtown.
This Title 21 text amendment aims to achieve the following:
- Consolidate and simplify the R-4A district's development standards.
- Allow a higher proportion of commercial uses in residential mixed-use developments without extra reviews.
- Allow a wider range of commercial uses that contribute to the urban mixed-use residential context.
- Supplement the minimum housing density requirement with incentives to provide even more housing.
- Enable phased developments to construct some commercial space prior to the accompanying residential uses.
- Vary design standards by primary and secondary street frontages, with more lenient standards on secondary frontages.
- Simplify the process for increasing building heights while reducing shadowing.
This project helps carry out Action 3-1 of the Anchorage 2040 Land Use Plan to “Amend Title 21 to simplify zoning regulations for mixed-use projects relative to commercial or other projects."
Current News: October 16, 2020
A community discussion draft of the R-4A zone mixed-use text amendment has been released for public review and comment. The public review materials are provided below. Please send your comments to email@example.com by December 11, 2020.
Comments may also be submitted by mail to the address shown in Review Item B, or via fax on 907-343-7927. The Planning Department will use feedback from the community discussion draft to prepare a public hearing draft of this text amendment for further review and consideration.
Please contact Collin Hodges at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-343-7938 with any questions about the proposed text amendment or community discussion draft materials.
Return to the main Anchorage 2040 Implementation page.