The Horticulture division of Anchorage Parks and Recreation is responsible for the production and care of thousands of plants utilized in landscaping and beautifying Anchorage. Additionally, crews also operate a public tropical greenhouse with fish pond and aviary that may be rented for small weddings or other special events.
The Horticulture team is responsible for:
- Planting and maintaining 461 flower beds and baskets with more than 76,000 annual flowers at 81 sites across Anchorage
- Operating 10 plant production greenhouses totaling 52,000 sqare feet
- Maintaining 179 tree and shrub landscape sites containing 21,600 trees, 39,525 shrubs, 1,135 perennials, and 3,007 feet of hedges
- Mowing and fertilizing 215 acres of turf at 96 sites and along 79.4 miles of Anchorage road right-of-way
- Irrigation for all of the above flower beds, containers, landscape, and turf sites.
The Mann Leiser Memorial Greenhouse is:
- A tropical greenhouse open for public viewing, seven days a week
- Fully-ADA accessible
- Home for a fish pond and small aviary
- Especially suited for school-aged students looking for a special spot for storytimes or plant education
- A unique setting for small weddings or functions (rentals available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily). Learn more by downloading a copy of the event brochure.