How Can We Help You?


Library

Anchorage Public Library

Z. J. Loussac Public Library 

3600 Denali Street
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907) 343-2975

Regular Hours:
Mon - Thur 10am - 9pm
Fri and Sat 10am - 6pm
Sunday 1pm - 5pm

Located on corner of Denali St and 36th Ave.

From downtown Anchorage, take the New Seward Hwy south to 36th Ave. Turn right onto 36th. After the second light at Denali St. change to the left-hand lane and turn left onto Barrow St. Take the 2nd left then an immediate right into the Loussac Library public parking lot. Follow signs to the library entrance.

History
The original Z. J. Loussac Library, located at 427 F Street, was dedicated on June 1, 1955. During the Project 80's period, Anchorage voters approved construction of a new centralized library. Upon the destruction of the old Loussac in 1981, the library was temporarily moved to 524 West 6th Avenue. The new and current Z. J. Loussac Library at 3600 Denali Street celebrated its grand opening on September 14, 1986. 

Loussac Library contains Anchorage’s Assembly Chambers on the ground floor. Library floors above house patron services, book and media collections, youth and adult programming spaces, public computers and a community Innovation Lab, a cafe, and the Alaska Collection Wing. In the quiet atmosphere of the Alaska Collection visitors can browse AK non-fiction books or DVDs, read or surf in the wood-paneled Ann Stevens Room, find books on Alaska Native history and culture, or locate articles from Alaskan newspapers on microfilm.

Chugiak-Eagle River Branch Library

12001 Business Blvd.
Suite #176
Eagle River Town Center
Eagle River, AK 99577
(907) 343-1530

Normal Hours
Tues 12pm - 7pm
Wed 11am - 7pm
Thurs - Sat 10am - 6pm
Sun and Mon Closed

History
The Chugiak-Eagle River Branch Library is named for its location within a community north of Anchorage situated on the Eagle River and its proximity to Chugiak, a neighboring community with the name that comes from a Tanaina word meaning "place of many places". In 1965 a library was started in Chugiak and also in Eagle River. The 2 libraries combined in 1968 and since then the library has moved 6 times. The square footage of the first Chugiak-Eagle River library was 320 square feet. The new branch dedicated in 2009 is 18,000 square feet.

Located in the Eagle River Town Center on Business Blvd.
From downtown Anchorage, head east on the Glenn Hwy. Take the main Eagle River exit. Turn right onto the Old Glenn Hwy. Turn left at the Business Blvd. stop light and follow it around to the large parking lot in front of the Town Center Building. The Library is located near the middle of the building and has its own entrance.

Scott and Wesley Gerrish Branch Library

P.O. Box 169
250 Egloff Drive
Girdwood, AK 99587
(907) 343-4024

Normal Hours:
Tues and Thurs 1pm - 6pm
Wednesday 1pm - 8pm
Fri and Sat 10am - 6pm
Sun and Mon Closed

History
The Scott and Wesley Gerrish Branch Library was named in memory of brothers Scott and Wesley Gerrish who grew up in Girdwood. Their untimely deaths as a result of being hit by a car on the Alyeska Highway in 1981 occurred the week that the Girdwood Library was scheduled to have a ribbon cutting ceremony at its new location at that time, adjacent to the Girdwood School. Through community action, a name change was approved for the new library to honor the lives of the young boys.

Location
From downtown Anchorage, take the Seward Hwy south. Exit at Girdwood and proceed 2.5 miles along Alyeska Hwy to Hightower Rd. At Hightower Rd. turn right onto Egloff Drive (formerly Glacier Creek Dr.)and proceed .25 mile past the fire station and look for the new library building on the right.

Rental Information for the Girdwood Community Room:

Rental of the Girdwood Community Room is handled by:
Kyle Kelly, Jr Administration Assistant with Public Works.
Phone: 343-8374
Email: KellyKT@muni.org

Mountain View
Branch Library

120 Bragaw
Anchorage, AK 99504
(907) 343-2818

Normal Hours:
Tue 2pm-7pm
Wed-Fri 11am-6pm
Sat 10am-6pm
Sun and Mon Closed

History
According to the Dictionary of Alaska Place Names, the name Mountain View was first used by the Army Map Service in 1941, an appropriate name given the expansive view of the Chugach Mountains. What began as a homesteaded community with a rich history of community pride and independence was annexed to the City of Anchorage in 1954. The Mountain View Library began in the early 70s, and moved into a facility at Mountain View Drive and Bragaw Street in 1973 which later closed in 1988. This locale is the new home to the revitalized Mountain View Branch of the Anchorage Public Library.

Location
In front of Clark Middle School at the corner of Bragaw and Mountain View Dr. Take the Glen Highway to Bragaw St. Turn on Bragaw and travel over the highway, turn left into the Clark Middle School parking lot, and immediately turn right into the library parking lot.

Muldoon Branch Library

Muldoon Town Center, Suite 158
1251 Muldoon Rd.
Anchorage, AK 99504
(907) 343-4032

Normal Hours:
Tues 3pm - 7pm
Wed - Fri 10am - 6pm
Sat 12pm - 6pm
Sun and Mon Closed

History
The Muldoon Branch is named after Arnold Muldoon, one of the original homesteaders to settle in East Anchorage. He put up his log cabin on what is now Muldoon Road in the winter of 1940, packing all the materials out on his back along a muddy trail. The move to the area that is now urban was described back then by a friend who said, “It was clear out in the country and quite a bit of work but he loved it.” Muldoon farmed his land and also worked as a carpenter at Elmendorf for 31 years.

Located in the Muldoon Town Center.
Enter at north end of mall.

Samson-Dimond Branch Library

The Samson-Dimond Branch closed on December 11, 2010.

History

Located in the Dimond Center Mall, Samson-Dimond Branch Library was named in honor of Irene Griffith Samson, the Anchorage City Librarian from 1946-1971.

    • Library
    • Director: Mary Jo Torgeson
    • 3600 Denali Street, Anchorage, AK 99503
    • 907 343-2975