As of April 30, 2021, the Municipality of Anchorage no longer issues General Permits for wetland fill projects in "C" wetlands.  All development projects located in wetlands throughout the Municipality must go to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for an authorization to place fill.  

Contact the Corps of Engineers by telephone at (907) 753-2712 or through the Corps of Engineers'​ Permitting website.

Wetlands (technically "waters of the United States") are regulated by the Army Corps of Engineers.  The Corps publishes maps showing wetlands and uplands within the Municipality.  Wetlands are classified as:

  • Class A (highest value) 
  • Class B (moderate to high value) 
  • Class C (lowest value)

Wetlands are also mapped (unofficially) in the Anchorage Coastal Resource Atlas, which can be reviewed at the Planning Department or the Z. J. Loussac library.

For more detailed information, see the Wetlands FAQ.​