Applications being accepted now for the December 2016 academy.
CALL 907-786-8811 NOW for more information.
Interested in joining the Anchorage Police Department? Ever considered being a police officer? What about a dispatcher, evidence technician, or report taker? If you are interested in an exciting career with the Anchorage Police Department, go to the Municipality of Anchorage Employee Relations Current Job Openings site where you will find information about job openings, employee benefits and the hiring process.
APD has a well deserved reputation for its high standards and dedicated service to the community. Police officer applicants are required to participate in a rigorous hiring process, including (but not limited to) initial testing, a physical agility test, psychological assessment, and a comprehensive background check. Fewer than 5 percent of those who test for officer positions are successful in the selection process, but those who do are met with an exciting and rewarding career opportunity. All our employees enjoy excellent pay and benefits as well as the advantage of working in an agency that values its members.
Click to open needed documents:
APSC F-3 sup APSC F-3 Physical Ability Test Waiver
For additional information you can call the APD Recruitment Team at 907-786-8811 or email us at APDJobs@muni.org.
PROCESS FOR BECOMING AN ANCHORAGE POLICE OFFICER
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien who has demonstrated intent to become a citizen of the United States
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Associates Degree or higher preferred
- Must be 21 years of age by the date of hire
- Must possess a valid State of Alaska Driver’s license by the time of hire
- Must meet standards established by the Alaska Police Standards Council (APSC). For more information about APSC certification, go to http://dps.alaska.gov/apsc/ and the Anchorage Police Department regarding misdemeanor or felony convictions and use of controlled substances.
- No criminal convictions after reaching 21 years of age
- Convictions under age 21 will be individually assessed
- No marijuana use within the past three years
Applicants must possess the following qualities:
- Unquestionable character and integrity
- Free of cultural and ethnic bias
- Strong ethical code in both personal and professional life
- Desire to diligently protect and serve the community through courage, compassion and respect
- Personal conduct above reproach
- Currently certified police officer, one year minimum
- Reciprocity of states that require a minimum of 400 training hours
- Starting salary $32.62
Entry Level Testing
Please click on the links below for more information:
- Salary: $32.62 - $42.70 hourly
- Hours: 40 per week, shifts vary
- Life Insurance
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability
Frequently Asked Questions