Parks and Recreation public facilities may be closed or have reduced access to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visit here for updates
Spenard Community Recreation Center - Update - 10/30/2020
The Spenard Community Recreation will re-open on a limited basis as soon as it is deemed safe to do so, in accordance with Municipality of Anchorage and State of Alaska guidelines and/or mandates. It is likely that changes in the hours and days of operation and program delivery will be observed. Such changes have been put in place to keep our staff, patrons, and community members as safe as possible. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as we adjust to these challenging times.
| Face Coverings ARE REQUIRED to enter this facility. |
Hours of Operation (upon reopening)
Wednesday - Friday: 10:00am - 8:00pm
Saturday: 12:00pm - 7:00pm
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: Closed
November 3, 2020 Facility Closed: Election Day
Spenard Skate Park Hours
The skate park is closed for the season effective Saturday, October 24th, 2020.
The Spenard Recreation Center will be available for indoor rentals starting October 12, 2020. Rent a room with us today! Call 343-4160 for more details. Facility Rental Application (English) (Spanish) (Samoan)
Method of Payment
No CASH transactions will take place. We will only accept recreation center punch passes or credit/debit card.
- Need to buy a punch card or refill your punches, it is easy.... just go to www.muni.org/Active to purchase.
The following amenities will be offered upon reopening:
To ensure patrons safety, the recreation center is limiting the number of participants in each of our open activity areas to ensure safe physical distancing is maintained.
- Weight Room - Limit of 4 people in the weight room at a time. Weight Room will be closed between 2:00pm and 3:00pm each day for disinfecting and sanitizing. Some equipment may not be available for use.
- Dance Room - Limit of 4 people in the dance room at a time.
- Racquetball Courts - By reservation only...no drop-ins (reservations are staggered). Only 2 players per court currently due to physical distancing requirements. No doubles, no Walley Ball. Please bring your own racquet and balls as we are not able to lend equipment out.
- Multipurpose Room, Teen Room, and Craft Room by reservation only. Facility Rental Application (English) (Spanish) (Samoan)
The following amenities will not be offered:
- Water Fountains/Vending Machines
- Classes or Programs are cancelled until further notice
- Patrons are required to wear a face covering in municipal buildings. Should you need a face covering, we will be happy to provide you one upon your arrival to the recreation center. Your face covering must remain on unless you are working out.
- Only patrons who are participating in an open activity area will be allowed in. No spectators, children waiting, etc.
- Restrooms are for Recreation Center Users.
| PLEASE DO NOT COME IN IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THESE SYMPTOMS|
Cough Sore Throat
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing New loss or taste or smell
Please wash or sanitize hands upon entry.
Patrons should bring only essential items to the recreation center (keys, phone, water bottle, etc.)
Patrons should come dressed in their workout clothes and leave in their workout clothes as the locker rooms and showers will not be available for use. If you require water, please bring your own water bottle.
What To Expect When You Arrive At The Recreation Center
- A recreation staff member will be at the front entrance to greet you.
- All patrons/vendors must answer the screening questions before being allowed to enter the facility and sign the "Visitor Log" with your name, telephone number, and email address.
- All patrons/vendors must sign a "Waiver of Liability" prior to entering the facility. Anyone under the age of 18 must have a signed waiver form by parent or legal guardian.
- Patrons will pay at the front desk with either a recreation center punch pass or a cred/debit card.
- The recreation center is implementing a single entrance and exit only to help control the flow of customer traffic.
** Enter only through the building entrance which will be clearly marked.
- ** A separate exit will be communicated to each patron and will be clearly marked.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available throughout the recreation center.
- Staff will conduct regular sanitization of high-touch surfaces, equipment, and common areas of the facility.
- Activity area specific guidelines will be communicated to patrons prior to or upon arrival at the recreation center.
- Patrons not following mandatory guidelines will be asked to leave the facility.
Spenard Recreation Center
The Spenard Community Recreation Center is a fun place to work out, join a class, play a game of basketball, use the weight room, and relax in the sauna in a family friendly community setting; there is something here for everyone! We offer a variety of programs such as volleyball, basketball, racquetball, pickleball, wallyball, badminton, a teen center, youth gym, toddler time, kinder gym, and more. There are also classes, camps, and other activities going on throughout the year. Most of the rooms are rentable and can accommodate anything from wedding receptions to basketball practice, volleyball practice, dance practice, meetings, etc. Spenard Recreation Center has a skate park as well for some outdoor fun. Check out our schedule or activity guide below, give us a call, or come in and get a tour of the facility with one of our friendly staff!
Map Blast to get directions to any of our facilities (type comma after address, then city - ie 120 S. Bragaw, Anchorage).
|Daily Fee||Membership Card|
|18+||$3||$40 (15 visits) |
|12 to 17||$1||$12 (15 visits)|
Facility admission allows access to all amenities, except where additional fees are noted or if an organized class is in session.
|Activity ||Age||Drop-In Fee||Membership Card|
|Racquetball||All Ages||$8 per person||$45 (7 visits)|
|Badminton||All Ages||$5 per person ||$45 (10 visits) |
|Walley Ball||All Age||s||N/A||$40 per hour |
|Pickleball||18+||$5 per person ||$45 (10 visits) |
|Toddler Time||0-3||$5 per family||$45 (10 visits)|
|Kinder Gym||3-5||$5 per family ||$45 (10 visits) |
|Kinder Time||0-5||$5 per family ||$45 (10 visits) |
|Class ||Age ||Drop-In Fee ||Monthly Pass|
|Karate & Aikido ||5 and up ||$5 ||$35/Youth $45/Adult |
|Shotokan Karate ||7 and up ||$5||$20/Youth $35/Adult |
|Youth Hapkido ||5 - 12 ||N/A||$55|
|Way of the Fist ||13+||$5||$15|
Spenard Skate Park
Our skate park features grind boxes with grind rails, a flat kinked grind rail, skate table, jump ramp, 2 quarter pipe, 3-sided pyramid with stairs, mini half pipe combination, and a custom curved grind rail.
The skate park is free to the public so please be courteous to each other and clean up after yourself.
***Please Note: Due to safety reasons the skatepark cannot be open if the ground equipment is wet. The Spenard Skate Park is available for rental at certain times and days. Call at 343-4160 for more information.***
Room Rental Information
Spenard Community Recreation Center rents out each of its rooms to private groups for special events. Please keep in mind that due to Covid-19 some rooms may not be available at this time and the capacity of each room is limited so please call to inquire about which rooms are available and to what capacity. The multi-purpose room is great for large meetings, luncheons, receptions, and seminars. The commercial sized kitchen can be rented by itself or as part of any room reservation. Our full-size gym can host tournaments, birthday parties, and other special functions. The dance studio is perfect for private dance lessons or martial arts seminar. Please contact us at 343-4160 for information on reservation procedures and availability or fill out the
Room Rental Reservation Request and fax it to 248-0859. For requests that include alcohol, an
Alcohol Waiver must be submitted as well. Our Facility Rental Application below has the room rental prices and details of rentable rooms at the Spenard Rec Center. See the Parks & Recreation
fee schedule for an in-depth listing of current fees.
Facility Rental Application (English)
Spenard Community Council: Open general membership meeting held on the first Wed. of every month at 7p.
Parks & Recreation Commission: Meets the 2nd Thursday of most months at 6p.
- Children's Lunchbox: Free take home meals given to kids every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 3pm-3:45pm in the parking lot.
Return to top