The Survey Section provides a variety of surveying and mapping services to a diverse clientele. The Municipal Surveyor is responsible for surveying and land acquisition for municipal capital improvement projects. The Section contracts for survey consultant services to meet all of the municipal surveying and mapping needs. Our primary mission is to provide survey support to the Project Management and Engineering Division to facilitate the design and construction of street and storm drainage improvements within municipal right of ways. Our responsibilities also include review of subdivision plats to verify that the plat survey information complies with Anchorage Municipal Code, Title 21 Land Use Regulations.
- Surveys for public improvement projects
- Review of construction documents for survey accuracy
- Subdivision plat review for Title 21 Land Use Regulation requirements
- Develop and review municipal surveying standards, policies and procedures
- Research and interpret land title records for determination of property rights
- Create public records such as plats and legal descriptions
- Respond to general public inquiries concerning survey issues
- Maintain survey control networks and make the information available
- Procure mapping products for various municipal agencies
- Write survey instructions and monitor professional service contracts
- Municipal liaison with professional surveying and right of way organizations
- Contact Steven G. Schmitt, PLS, SR/WA, Municipal Surveyor at (907) 343-8366 for further information.
Click here to view the Municipal MITS Files
Click here to view the "Online Bench Book"
Click here to view "Muni Maps & Apps Online"