People Mover Half Fare Application
Information and Eligibility
The Federal Transit Administration requires transit agencies receiving federal funding to offer a fixed route Half Fare program to seniors, people with disabilities and individuals with Medicare cards. People with disabilities for this purpose are defined by the FTA as;
"those individuals who, by reason of illness, injury, age, congenital malfunction, or other permanent or temporary incapacity or disability, including those who are non-ambulatory wheelchair-bound and those with semi-ambulatory capabilities, are unable without special facilities or special planning or design to utilize mass transportation facilities and services as effectively as persons who are not so affected."
Having a disability does not necessarily qualify an individual for the Half Fare Program. Income is not a determining factor. People Mover defines senior citizens as age 60 and over and Youth as ages 5-18. Excluded conditions to Half Fare eligibility include: pregnancy, obesity, acute or chronic alcoholism, drug addiction, contagious diseases and temporary disabilities with a duration of less than 90 days.
Seniors and youth may show government issued photo ID to verify age when boarding the bus. Individuals with Medicare cards may show card to driver as proof of eligibility. All others need to complete the Half Fare application process to obtain a People Mover Half Fare ID card. ID cards are valid from 6 months and up to 3 years. Any fees charged for the completion of Certification Forms are not the responsibility of the Municipality of Anchorage or the Public Transportation Department. The Public Transportation Department reserves the right to verify certification forms.
- Complete the Half Fare Application. (Answer all questions. Disability alone does not qualify a person for a half fare. Ability to par a fare is not a determining factor.)
- Submit to the Customer Service office at the Downtown Transit Center, 700 West 6th Avenue, #109, Anchorage, Alaska 99501.
- Bring photo identification and any required proof (see application) to Customer Service at the Downtown Transit Center (700 West 6th Avenue, #109.)
If applying as a person with a disability, complete all questions on the application. Your physician will need to complete the Physician Certification form. Fill out and sign the Applicant Release section and submit to a licensed physician for certification. The physician will return the certification to the Public Transportation Department.
- You may also check the status of your application by emailing PeopleMover@muni.org or calling 907.343.6544. Applications will be kept on file for 60 days.
- Complete all questions in section marked "Physician Certification." Please do not leave items blank. Disability alone does not qualify a person for a reduced fare. Ability to pay a fare is not a determining factor.
- Submit Physician Certification form directly to People Mover or send with client in a sealed envelope from physician's office.
Half Fare Program
700 W. 6th Avenue, #109
Anchorage, Alaska 99501