*The on-demand Essential Transportation Program will end on Sunday, May 31, 2020. Applications will be accepted through 5/26 and riders can schedule trips to be taken until the service ends.
Temporary Essential Service Transportation for People Mover Riders
The Public Transportation Department's top priority is the safety and well-being of our community, including our riders and employees. The difficult decision has been made to suspend People Mover fixed-route service. In an effort to continue providing essential transportation during this difficult time while helping to prevent the spread of COVID-19, a limited number of essential trips will be provided by AnchorRIDES for the general public.
Ridership continues to remain higher than what is recommended to meet social distancing guidelines as health and city officials continue to stress that only essential trips be taken on the bus. With that in mind, the Mayor has ordered the following changes to public transportation:
Effective Wednesday, April 8, 2020:
- People Mover fixed-route bus service will be suspended starting Wednesday, April 8th, 2020 at 11:59 PM until further notice.
- AnchorRIDES will provide a limited number of trips to accommodate People Mover bus riders who are going to essential locations (doctor appointments, pharmacies, grocery stores, and critical jobs).
- Trips must take place Monday through Friday 6 AM to Midnight or on weekends 8 AM to 8 PM.
- Trips to/from Eagle River will be only available Monday through Friday.
- In order to abide by the CDC's social distancing recommendations, passengers onboard will be limited to one (1) at any give time. Personal care attendants (PCA) will also be allowed if necessary.
- The number of trips for this temporary service is extremely limited and will be scheduled on a first come first serve basis.
- Fares for this temporary service will be waived along with fares associated with traditional AnchorRIDES services until further notice.
- All travel is limited to essential locations only (doctor appointments, pharmacies, grocery stores and critical jobs).
- AnchorRIDES will continue to provide previously scheduled trips for eligible riders and continue to set aside trips for eligible AnchorRIDES riders.
**For confirmed COVID-19 patients, Persons Under Investigation (PUI) and those traveling to get tested please have your Health Care Practitioners arrange your non-critical transportation or call 2-1-1. A transportation contractor has a driver trained in airborne precautions-level Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) use and disinfection procedures who will be facilitating the transport.**
For additional information regarding Non-Critical Transport and Housing, click here.
How Will this Service Work?
*The Essential Service Transportation program will end Sunday, May 31, 2020. Click here for information on People Mover's restored service starting Monday, June 1, 2020.
People Mover riders who wish to use the temporary service will need to follow the directions below. Riders must schedule trips one to seven (1-7) days in advance.
You will not be able to call and schedule trips for the same day, trips must be scheduled at least one day in advance.
1. Fill out the application to establish an account or call 907.343.6543 to complete the application over the phone.
Click here to fill out the application. →
2. Please allow one (1) business day for your application to be processed. You can begin scheduling trips one (1) business day after the submission of a completed application.
3. To schedule a trip, follow the steps below.
- Call Customer Service at 907.343.6543 and select Option 2
- Then press 1 to schedule a trip
Trips may only be scheduled for the following:
Required information at time of reservation:
- First and last name
- Date of trip
- Pick up and drop off addresses
- Arrival and departure times
How Do I Cancel a Trip?
Riders who wish to cancel a trip reservation should call 907.343.6543 and follow the prompts. Select Option #2 and then press 2 again. Please cancel your trip reservation at least one hour prior to the original reservation time.
- Why is the service changing?
- Fixed route bus service has been suspended in an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. However, transportation is still an essential service for the community to access doctor appointments, pharmacies, grocery stores, and critical employment. To help those who rely on public transportation, this essential service transportation model has been set up in lieu of cancelling service.
- How will this affect me?
- This transition will require People Mover bus riders to schedule their trips one to seven (1-7) days in advance. Destinations will be limited to essential locations only which are identified as: doctor appointments, pharmacies, grocery stores, and places of critical employment. There will only be a limited number of trips available each day and will be scheduled on a first come, first serve basis.
- How does it work?
- People Mover bus riders will need to create an account for using the service by completing the online application form, or by calling 907.343.6543. Once the account is active, trips can be scheduled one to seven (1-7) days in advance by calling 907.343.6543, Option 2.
- What is an essential location?
- For the purposes of using this service, essential locations are identified as those locations providing doctor appointments, pharmacy services, grocery stores, and the rider's place of employment with an essential service provider
- Is there a waitlist?
- No, this temporary essential service transportation model does not accommodate tracking a rider waitlist.
- What type of vehicle will I ride in?
- AnchorRIDES vehicles, identified with AnchorRIDES logos, will be used for this service.
- Are trips booked as one-way or round-trip?
- Trips can be booked as one-way or round-trip. Please let the scheduler know when you call to reserve your trip.