The Municipality of Anchorage believes the health and safety of every employee is a high priority and every person’s responsibility. For us to maintain a successful health and safety program that conforms to the best practices for each department, we must embody the right attitude towards injury and illness prevention. Without full support and cooperation, we can’t achieve our goal of zero incidents. Management is expected to provide a safe working environment and employees are expected to perform work through safe standards and practices. Everyone must join together to promote health and safety by taking every reasonable measure to ensure safe working conditions exist throughout the municipality.
Principles for cultural safety:
- Conduct trainings to meet or exceed all applicable laws and regulations and minimizes risk to our employees, the public and the environment;
- Continue to improve Health, Safety and Environment performance;
- Promote employee safety on and off the job;
- Believe all occupational injuries and illnesses are preventable;
- Respect the diverse environments and cultures in which we operate;
- Encourage reporting of all health and safety and related hazards, potential hazards, incidents and near-hits;
- Perform safety observations to encourage safe behaviors;
- Recognize people who perform tasks safely and demonstrate proper behaviors;
- Provide proper tools and personal protective equipment for the job and ensure appropriate controls are in place and operational;
- Investigate every incident to root cause and communicate findings and correct deficiencies;
It's only through teamwork that we can work towards a safer tomorrow.