Filing Reports and Complaints - FAQ

​Q. How much does it cost to obtain police records?

A. The cost of obtaining police reports is covered by Municipal Ordinance.  Click here to view the fee chart.

Q.  My neighbor plays his music so loud my dishes rattle in my cupboards.  Is there some sort of law in Anchorage that would tell him to turn his music down? 

A.  Conduct you describe is covered by the Disorderly Conduct section of Anchorage Municipal Code.  There is no noise restriction time in this code; it is enforced by the ordinance definition of loud noise, and the law requires that the offending individual be informed that his conduct is disturbing others before he can be charged.  If this problem continues, you can make a loud music complaint to APD Dispatch at 786-8900 for an officer response.  The officer will contact the offender and warn him as required.  If the offender refuses to quiet down, he can be charged with Disorderly Conduct.

Q.  I had a motorist threaten me while driving to work.  Normally I wouldn't think twice about it, but he made a verbal threat against my life.  Should I report this verbal threat?

A.  YES!  Anytime someone makes a threat against your life that seems more than just a passing statement, you should report this to the local police.  Example: if an upset customer or colleague were to say: "I'm so mad right now, I could just hurt someone"...this would be a passing statement.  If, however, the statement were: "I'm so mad at you right now, I'm just going to stomp you (or another person) into the ground" - (and they were making some substantial step towards you (or another)...this would be considered Disorderly Conduct as written by Municipal Code.  Please bear in mind that not all investigations result in a criminal arrest and/or charges being filed against another.  That decision is solely upon the discretion of the Prosecuting Office, in coordination with the police.   At a minimum, there would be an official report on file as to the suspected person's actions and/or conduct.

Q. How do I file a commendation, complaint, or suggestion? 

We value the input from our citizens we serve in the Municipality of Anchorage! We want to hear from you if the actions of one of our employees stood out in a positive manner.  On the other hand, we also want to know if you feel one of our employees treated you in an unprofessional manner.

To find out how you would file a commendation or complaint, please review our brochure.  We would ask that you please complete the Commendation, Complaint, or Suggestion form. You will be required to save a copy of the write-up to your computer desktop and then email it to APD Internal Affairs Unit.​

How Can We Help You?