Coastal Trail Bridge Replacement (Multi-year Improvement Projects)
As a result of a pedestrian bridge failure at Westchester Lagoon on June 16, 2014, Parks & Recreation contracted engineers to complete a structural analyses of the pedestrian bridges along the entire Coastal Trail. The Department received two final structural assessments:
1. North Lagoon Bridge Failure Assessment (4 MB)
2. Coastal Trail Bridge Assessment (remaining 4 bridges) (8 MB)
3. Construction Documents (3 MB)
These reports provided a very detailed assessment of the cause of failure for the North Lagoon bridge as well as the current condition of the remaining four Coastal Trail bridges.As directed by the structural reports, all vehicles heavier than a snow machine or ATV were prohibited from crossing all existing bridges on the Coastal Trail.
As a result, this assessment then lead to the multi-year phased replacement project of all the Coastal Trail Bridges, starting with the North Lagoon Bridge (2015), the Sisson and Fish Creek Bridges (2016), and the future replacement of the South Lagoon Bridge (2018 - 2019).
Project Status and Upcoming Replacement Schedule
1. In the fall of 2015, the North Lagoon Bridge was replaced. The contractor was Bristol Prime Contractors, LLC.
2.In the fall of 2016, the Fish Creek Bridge and Sisson Bridge were replaced. Asphalt and landscaping was completed in summer 2017. The contractor was Roger Hickel Contracting, Inc.
3. Currently (June 2018), the South Lagoon Bridge is in design development, this project is expected to bid in summer 2018 with replacement tentatively to begin in late October through early winter 2018-19. ***Detour routes and more information will be available as this design develops.
The Parks & Recreation Department used residual bond funds (funds are in-hand) from the2013/14 Coastal Trail surface rehabilitation project to fund the 2015 North Lagoon Bridge project design, engineering and permitting.
Funds for the construction portion (replacement) of the North Lagoon bridge were from the 2015 Park Bond.
Residual funds (funds in-hand) from this project were used to fund the design, engineering and permitting of the Fish Creek and Sisson Loop replacements.
Funds for the construction (replacement) of the Fish Creek and Sisson Loop bridges were from the 2016 Park Bond.
Residual funds (funds in-hand) from the 2016 project were used to develop the engineering analysis and concept design for the South Lagoon Bridge. Funding for construction portion replacement are from the 2018 MOA Park Bond. Stay tuned as this project develops.
Project Manager Contact:
For questions, please contact Maeve Nevins-Lavtar at email@example.com, or call (907)-343-4135