Health And Human Services Commission
Purpose of the Commission:
- Facilitate development of prioritized local health and human services goals and needs;
- Recommend mechanisms and actions to meet the prioritized goals to the Mayor and Assembly; and
- Inform the Mayor and Assembly and community on the status of health and human services issues as new strategies are implemented and challenges arise.
Major Activities of the Commission:
- Facilitating the assessment of local health and human service needs;
- Facilitating prioritizing needs;
- Encouraging and supporting action-oriented goals, objectives, and strategies to address needs;
- Reviewing and commenting on Municipal ordinances related to local health and human services;
- Reviewing and commenting on policies, practices and legislation related to local health and human services; and
- Advising the Mayor, the Assembly, and the Director of the Department of Health and Human Services on the above;
Each Commissioner shall be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- The Mayor appoints Commissioners.
- The membership of the Commission shall be broadly representative of the community's principal social, economic, ethnic, age and gender-related characteristics.
- There are 15 Commission seats.
- Terms are 3 years; Commissioners can be re-appointed for an additional 3-year term.
Time Committment of Commissioners:
- There is one monthly meeting -- the second Wednesday of each month. It is held 5:30 - 7:00 pm at the Department of Health & Human Services, 825 L. Street.
- There are committees that meet occasionally, usually during the workday, for 1 to 1.5 hours.
- There are oppoportunities for Commissioners to participate in task forces and special committees.
- Commissioners receive an agenda packet a few days before the monthly meeting. It usually takes less than an hour to review the enclosed materials.
- The Health & Human Services Commission meets for an annual half-day retreat to identify major issues and develop a work plan for the year.
Staff Support for the Health & Human Services Commission:
Staff support for the Commission is provided by the Planning Office at the Department of Health & Human Services. For more information call 343-6718.