New Years Fireworks and Pets Don't Mix!
New Year’s Eve Weekend Reminder: Fireworks and Pets Don’t Mix
As we approach the holidays, please remember that New Year’s Eve celebrations can be a potentially dangerous and frightening time for pets. While fireworks are not allowed in the Municipality of Anchorage this year, many people travel with their pets to see family and enjoy the holiday. Help ensure the health and safety of your pet by following these tips:
- Keep your pet in a SECURE and quiet setting, like your home (make sure all windows and doors are closed);
- Turning on a television or radio can mask the noise of fireworks, helping keep your pet calm;
- Be certain your pet has a current MOA dog license, a current identification tag, and its rabies tag securely fastened to its collar;
- In the unfortunate event that your pet does escape, check with the Anchorage Animal Care and Control Center ASAP; and
- While the Center can be reached by phone at 343-8122, it is always best to come in person to look for your dog every 2-3 days, as no one can identify your animal better than you.
Please direct further questions to Anchorage Animal Care and Control at 343-8122