Commercial Glass Recycling
About the program:
Solid Waste Services is testing commercial glass recycling in the Anchorage Solid Waste Services collection area. Glass recycling will help Anchorage businesses save money, protect the environment and leverage community support.
How it works:
SWS will provide 96-gallon roll carts for GLASS ONLY. Carts will be serviced at least once a week with the option for twice weekly if necessary. All glass will be recycled LOCALLY by Central Recycling Services. Recycled glass is used in local construction projects and one of the few recycled materials that stays in Southcentral Alaska.
Collection begins as soon as your business signs up and is ongoing.
What your business gets back:
- Money – Glass can make up a significant portion of your trash. By reducing your dumpster size or collection frequency you could save hundreds of dollars a year
- Community support – Glass is the most requested recycling service by Anchorage residents
- Environmental benefits – Reduce your overall waste and help extend the life of Anchorage's only landfill by keeping material out of it
What it costs:
$27.89 per month for weekly service per 96-gallon roll
cart. Additional carts and more frequent servicing available at additional
Informational One-Pager for businesses.
Contact SWS Sustainability Coordinator Pierce Schwalb at (907) 343-6274 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Businesses already participating:
- Anchorage Museum
- 49th State Brewing Company
- Crush Wine Bistro and Cellar
- Williwaw Social
- Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse
- Darwin's Theory
- Snow City Cafe
- The Hotel Captain Cook
- Sub Zero Bistro & Microlounge
- Flattop Pizza
- Bear Tooth Theatrepub
- Spenard Roadhouse
- Dena'ina Civil & Convention Center
- William A. Egan Civic & Convention Center
- Ginger Restaurant
- Hearth Artisan Pizza
- Middle Way Cafe
- Denali Dreams Soap Company
Business outreach toolkit:
Find outreach materials your business can download and let your customers know about glass recycling.
Social Media Manipulatables
Language for Menus
Internal Glass Recycling Label