Administrative Support Section
The Public Works Administration provides administrative and financial support to the Traffic Department, Project Management and Engineering Department and Maintenance and Operations Department. Those divisions include Facility Maintenance, Fleet Maintenance, Street Maintenance and Eagle River Street Light Maintenance, The Chugiak, Birchwood, Eagle River Rural Road Service Area (CBERRRSA), Girdwood Valley Service Area (SA), Glen Alps Service Area (SA), and Twenty-three (23) Limited Road Service Area's (LRSA).
The Public Works Administration is also the home of the Municipality Curator of Public Art and Management of the 1% for Art Program., and the Adopt-a-Road Program.
The Administrative Support Section provides information, document generation, and records management for all divisions within the Public Works Department, a major part of which is related to delivery of capital improvement projects. Other specific goals/responsibilities include:
- Plans, organizes, controls and evaluates maintenance services and administers contracts to ensure economy in the utilization of resources. It redefines methods and improves efficiency, produces budget documents, department grants, authors bid specifications, monitors budgets, and administers department payroll system. The department produces Assembly documentation (resolutions, ordinances, memorandums) and reports. Provides financial information, approve invoices and procurement card purchases, submits change orders, requisitions and budget transfers, and prepares grant reports and financial documentation. In addition, provides information, document generation, and records management, discusses and resolves issues with vendors, board members, citizens, and Municipal personnel. We also support and respond directly and indirectly to all Municipal Road Service Area Boards of Supervisors.
- Preparation of correspondence and contract documents.
- Front-line customer service for those calling Public Works and those visiting the department with questions or on business.
- Development and maintenance of Public Works electronic and paper filing systems.
- Present capital improvement projects to the public.
Financial Support Section
The Financial Support Section provides accountability for budgeting and expenditures within Public Works, a major part of which is related to the delivery of capital improvement projects. Other specific goals/responsibilities include:
- Preparation of annual operating budgets and tracking expenditures for all divisions within Public Works.
- Tracking project expenditures in accordance with established accounting standards.
- Development and maintenance of a capital project asset inventory as required by GASB 34.