Disaster Registry Program Intent:
The Disaster Registry is a database planning tool maintained by the Anchorage Office of Emergency Management (OEM). It is used by emergency managers during major emergencies or disasters when the City’s Emergency Operations Center has been activated.
The Disaster Registry is used only for EVACUATIONS. By participating in the Disaster Registry, you will be helping the emergency managers better meet the evacuation needs of qualifying individuals. The Disaster Registry is not a rescue service, it is only used to assist emergency planners in evacuation planning.
How the program works:
Request an information pamphlet and application form from the OEM by calling 343-1401. OEM will mail a pamphlet and application to the requesting party. After you receive the packet, read the information pamphlet to ensure you meet the criteria and want to be in the Disaster Registry. Complete the application, have your medical provider sign it, and mail the application to:
Office of Emergency Management
1305 E Street
Anchorage, AK 99501
- Your application will be reviewed by OEM to determine eligibility.
- A letter will be mailed from the OEM to tell you if your application has been approved or denied.
- If you are accepted into the Disaster Registry, the information from the form will be entered into the Disaster Registry Database. Access to the information is limited to the emergency program managers, Emergency Operations Center personnel and first responders during an emergency
- If you are accepted into the registry program, the Office of Emergency Management will send you a letter every year. This letter will ask you to give any new or changed information.
- If your phone number, address, needs, or disability changes, it is your or your legal guardian’s responsibility to submit those changes to OEM.
- During an event where there is imminent threat to life or safety requiring an evacuation, the Municipality will attempt to make direct contact through first responders and will attempt to provide paratransit services to individuals in the affected area who are identified in the Disaster Registry.
While every effort will be made to make direct contact, there is no guarantee first responders or paratransit services will be able to provide immediate assistance. Residents are encouraged to make advance arrangements for assistance with family and neighbors, and participate in other outreach programs that can offer assistance during a crisis.
In order to be eligible for the Disaster Registry applicants must be 18 years of age or older and meet ALL of the following criteria:
- You must live in Anchorage.
- You must not have a 24-hour care provider or accessible transportation.
- You must have a disability or mobility limitation as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a medical condition that makes leaving your home without help and/or pratransit services impossible.
A disability, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, does not by itself mean you are eligible for the Disaster Registry. Residents of assisted living centers or nursing homes are not eligible for the Disaster Registry because state law requires these centers to provide assistance to residents during an emergency.
Please send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 343-1401 for information.