Incident Management Team III:
A Safety Officer (Type 3) is responsible for monitoring and assessing safety hazards or unsafe situations and for developing measures for ensuring personnel safety.
The table below lists minimum requisite criteria based on existing protocols and standards for a Safety Officer (Type 3)) to participate in the NIMS Integration Center’s National Emergency Responder Credentialing System.
Completion of the following courses/curricula:
- ICS-100: Introduction to ICS
- ICS-200: Basic ICS
- ICS-300: Intermediate ICS
- ICS-400: Advanced ICS
- FEMA IS-700: NIMS, an introduction
- FEMA IS-800: NRP, An Introduction
- Specialty training as required e.g., Incident Scene Safety, Fire Suppression, HazMat Operations, Accident Investigation, Post-Incident Analysis
Significant, ongoing safety experience in strategy and tactics related to the incident scenario (e.g., wildland fire or HazMat incident) and experience in emergency management. Significant experience in all phases of the response and recovery cycle
Compliance with the following baseline criteria:
- Medical requirements established by the AHJ
- Minimum physical fitness standards as required by the AHJ
- Able to work wearing appropriate PPE