How Can We Help You?


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change my address?

If you feel your assigned address does not comply with code, let us know right away! We will investigate your situation and make any necessary changes—free of charge.

If you wish to change your address for another reason, let us know. Again, we will determine if a change is possible.  There will be a $75.00 fee to change your address.

For all address changes, we notify the US Postal Service, emergency response, all utilities, and other municipal agencies of the change for their records.

Please use our Report an Error form, or otherwise contact us about all address changes.

Learn more about address changes.

How do I request a street name change?

According to Municipal Code 21.15.133, the request for a street name change can be submitted by any citizen and must include a petition signed by 51% or more of the property owners along the street in question. The petition must show the existing and the proposed new street names. There is a fee of $800.00 for this request.

Addressing will review the proposal for code compliance, then contact all property owners along the street, informing them of the proposed change and inviting written comment for a period of no less than 14 days. If comments received are primarily in support of the change, the mayor then signs an executive order that officially changes the street name. At that time, the municipal clerk sends another letter to the property owners, describing how to appeal the street name change. If no one appeals within 30 days, the change becomes official, and Addressing mails out change of address letters to all affected property owners. We also notify the municipal street sign shop, the US Postal Service, 9-1-1 emergency response, Alaska DOT, municipal street maintenance, and all utility companies.

For more information on this process, or on how to format a petition, please contact us.

Read more about Street Names.

How do I report a problem address?

If you spot a problem address—please let us know! Use our Report an Error form, or call, write, fax, email—just pass the information on. We will investigate the situation to determine where a correction is necessary.

Good addresses are those that are sequential with their neighbors, are even or odd accordingly, fall within the correct number-block according to the overall addressing grid, and utilize the street name that provides primary access to the addressed home or business.

How are address numbers determined?

All addresses throughout the Anchorage bowl area, Eagle River and Chugiak are assigned off a large addressing grid. This large grid has two main axes, A Street and 1st Avenue, in downtown Anchorage. At the intersection of these streets, address numbers begin at 100. As you move away from this intersection, the numbers increase in size.

For example, if you move one block south from 1st Avenue, the address numbers are in the 200-range; move another block south and the numbers are in the 300-range, and so on. Move one block east of A Street, and you’re in the 200 –block; move another block east, and you’re in the 300-block, etc.

For areas in Chugiak/Eagle River, imagine a 1st Avenue extension into that area: where it hits is the 100 block; move one block north or south to the 200-block, etc.

Some streets intersect with either A Street or 1st Avenue. For these streets, a directional tells which side it’s on: “East” or “West”, or “North” ("South" roads do not have a directional). For example, there could be a 400 West Northern Lights Boulevard, and a 400 East Northern Lights Boulevard. That is why using the “East” or “West” directional is so important!

To determine an address number for a given house, first we take a look at a map showing the street that provides primary access. We determine if the street runs primarily north-south, or east-west. We then see how far it is from either A Street, or 1st Avenue accordingly, then assign an address number.

Turnagain Arm communities of Girdwood and Indian are assigned addresses utilizing a hierarchal street system, whereby each street has a defined beginning and addresses increase in number as you progress along the street.

How do I request research on an address?

Use our Address Search form to search for a particular address. Use our Report an Error form to request research on an address. This form will ask for some location information such as:

  • Legal description (subdivision, lot & block or tract, or aliquot part description), or
  • Tax-parcel ID, as assigned by the Municipal Property Appraisal Office (343- 6770), or
  • Location information, such as a map, or a definite description such as “Northwest corner of West Tudor Road and Arctic Boulevard”

You may also contact us with your address research requests.

How do I get my Legal Description?

Contact the Municipal Property Appraisal office at 343-6770.

How do I report a missing street sign?

Contact the Municipal Traffic Department.

    • Addressing
    • Section Manager: Jack Frost
    • 4700 Elmore Road, Anchorage, AK 99507
    • 907 343-8222