Lot coverage is simply the percentage of the total lot area covered by structures. Well, perhaps "simply" isn't the best word:
- Dwellings, detached garages, shops, sheds, greenhouses and other buildings count in determining lot coverage.
- Eaves that project up to 2 feet don't count, but any portion of an eave that projects beyond 2 feet does count.
- Automobiles, boats, trampolines, free-standing hot tubs, and other chattels don't count.
- Landings, stairs, and walkways don't count if they are uncovered, but do count if they have a roof over them.
- Windowsills, fireplace chases, belt courses, cornices, bay windows, and incidental architectural features don't count.
- Decks less than 30 inches above grade don't count, but decks higher than 30 inches above grade do count.
If you use the online version of the code, try searching on "21.06.030" for more information. Please note that recent amendments may not have been published yet. Land Use Enforcement will be happy to verify the current code language for you.