What is a comprehensive plan?
A comprehensive plan is a guide for community land use development. It is based on a community vision and portrays the dynamics, unique qualities, and concerns of a community. It represents how residents see their community.
A comprehensive plan promotes orderly growth by providing a framework for decisions about land use, transportation, public facilities, economic development, housing and other factors that are vital to a healthy and livable community. It includes guidelines for determining the type and location of industrial, commercial, recreational and residential development.
How is a comprehensive plan developed?
Developing a comprehensive plan typically involves four basic steps:
- Profile the current conditions in the community.
- Analyze the trends and forecast future trends if current conditions continue.
- Identify issues and concerns and create a vision that identifies what the community wants to become and how it wants to look.
- Prepare recommendations with an implementation plan that identifies the actions and policies needed to achieve the community's vision.
The final comprehensive plan typically includes a community description, identification of issues, goals and objectives, a land use plan map depicting the desired pattern of community development, and strategies for implementing the plan's recommendations.
List of Comprehensive Plans
Per AMC 21.05.020, the purpose of the comprehensive plan is to set forth the goals, objectives and policies governing the future land use development of the Municipality that guide the Assembly in taking action to implement the plan. Individual comprehensive plans are elements of the overall municipal comprehensive plan.
- Anchorage 2020-Anchorage Bowl Comprehensive Plan (2001)
- Chugiak-Eagle River Comprehensive Plan Update (2006)
- Chugiak-Eagle River Comprehensive Plan (1993)
- Turnagain Arm Comprehensive Plan (2009)
- Girdwood Area Plan Update (underway)
- Girdwood Area Plan (1995)