Special Plans and Area Studies
What are Special Plans and Area Studies?
Special plans and area studies respond to issues that may affect a particular neighborhood or district in the community. They provide physical, social and economic information about a particular area to better understand the nature of a place and to plan for its future. Special plans and area studies may be prepared by or managed by Long-Range Planning Division staff.
Neighborhood plans may include places such as Fairview, Government Hill, and Mountain View in Anchorage. District plans have been completed for the Central Business Districts in Eagle River and Anchorage, East and West Anchorage, the Anchorage Hillside, and the Universities-Medical District in Anchorage.
Special land use studies may be prepared for municipal lands, such as the Tudor Road properties and Heritage Land Bank (HLB) holdings. THe HLB manages municipal land that is uncommitted to a public use. Some lands are held for future public use, while others may be disposed for private development. The Long-Range Planning Division provides support to the HLB and assists with land use studies for some of the larger HLB tracts.
Sometimes land use studies will look at specific aspects associated with certain kinds of uses. An example is the Seismic Risk Assessment for Downtown Anchorage. This study evaluates earthquake impacts, determines risk levels for various types of development in seismic zones, and propose land use regulations to mitigate the estimated impacts and risks of a major earthquake event.
Adopted Plans and Studies
- Anchorage Downtown Comprehensive Plan
- Eagle River Central Business District Revitalization Plan
- Eagle River Greenbelt Plan
- Fairview Neighborhood Plan
- Far North Bicentennial Park Plan
- Government Hill Neighborhood Plan
- Hillside District Plan
- Mountain View Targeted Neighborhood Plan
- Ship Creek/Waterfront Land Use Plan
- Spenard Commercial District Development Strategy
- Tudor Road Public Lands and Institutions Plan
- UMED District Plan Update