This summer, AMATS will begin conducting a household travel survey to better understand the travel of Anchorage and Mat-Su Valley residents. The previous household travel survey (HTS) in the area was completed in 2002, and lots of changes have happened since then:
- Population has increased by over 40,000 residents;
- Several roads have been extended or built (e.g. Elmore Road, Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., C Street and Dowling Road);
- There are new highway interchanges at Glenn Highway and Bragaw Street, Parks Highway and Glenn Highway, and International Airport Road and Minnesota Drive;
- Roundabouts have been added at Southport, Seward Highway and Dowling, Huffman Road, C Street and O’Malley and Elmore Road at UAA;
- The Eagle River and South Anchorage High Schools have opened;
- The Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport South Terminal has expanded;
- The Goose Creek Correctional Center was developed; and
- There are several new destinations including the Dena’ina Convention Center, the expanded Anchorage Museum, Tikahtnu Commons, Cabela’s, and Sportsman Warehouse.
The Regional Household Travel Survey will provide transportation planners with current information on how residents travel for work, school, recreation and shopping, and how existing roads, trails, highways and other transportation facilities are used.
WHAT CAN YOU DO? PARTICIPATE!
Starting in July 2014, your household may be randomly selected to participate in the survey on a pre-assigned date. It is important to collect travel data from households like yours across Anchorage, Chugiak-Eagle River and Mat-Su Valley so that the survey is statistically representative of all residents. If your household is selected and you agree to participate (we hope you will!) you will be asked to report your travel for one day by logging all trips taken on that day for everyone in your household. Your privacy will be protected! Your name and address will not be linked to the survey and all answers will be kept strictly anonymous. ,
For more information click on the link below to visit the project website. You can also email email@example.com with questions about the survey or email the public involvement coordinator at VLe@rmconsult.com.