USS Anchorage Schedule Announced
U.S.S. ANCHORAGE SCHEDULE RELEASED
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 15, 2012
The U.S.S. Anchorage, an amphibious landing craft will arrive at the Port of Anchorage (POA) on Wednesday, May 01 at approximately 8:00 a.m. The vessel is the seventh San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock and the first ship to be commissioned in Alaska. She was built at the Huntington Ingalls Industries Shipbuilding site in Avondale, La. and delivered to the U.S. Navy Sept. 17, 2012.
The commissioning of the U.S.S. Anchorage is the first official event planned for the Anchorage Centennial.
Public tours of the ship are available on the days listed below. Please alert the general public of the guidelines to avoid mass confusion.
- Parking for the tour shuttle and access to the U.S.S. Anchorage tour is at the Northway Mall or the Sears Mall. The POA is a secured facility and members of the general public will not have access through the main POA entrance.
- Visitors, both adults and children must be prepared to walk through a metal detector. Adults, over the age of 18, must provide government issued identification such as a driver’s license, passport or military credentials.
- Visitors are highly recommended to wear sensible shoes and pants. Please refrain from bringing backpacks and large handbags; space is limited on the motor coach and the vessel.
- The ship is not handicapped accessible. If you are handicapped, virtual tours are strongly recommended, as climbing ladders and walking up ramps may be involved in touring the ship.
Wednesday, May 1 starting at 5:00 p.m. and ending at 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, May 2 starting at 1:00 p.m. and ending at 8:00p.m.
Friday, May 3 May starting at 2:00 p.m. and ending at 8:00p.m.
Please see the attachments in order as listed below and the official press release including public tour schedule.
- Official picture of the U.S.S. Anchorage LPD 23;
- Official image of U.S.S. Anchorage Commissioning Committee Chair: Shannon Jones.
- Official Image of U.S.S. Anchorage Commissioning Committee Chairs: listed in order left to right. Front row: Chair Shannon Jones, Mayor Dan Sullivan, Invitations Chair Esther Cox. Back Row: Municipal Manager George Vakalis, Events Chair Buddy Whitt, Public Relations and Committee Outreach Chair Lindsey Whitt, Gifts Chair Chris Schutte, Secretary Tim Benintendi, Port of Anchorage Chair Rich Wilson, Finance Chair Joseph Zimmermann. Not pictured: Crew Activities Chair Julie Saupe, Fundraising Chair Bill Popp.
- Official Image of U.S.S. Anchorage Commissioning Committee: Sitting: Julie Saupe, Sally Bowers, Chair Shannon Jones, Esther Cox, Ellen McKelvey, Lindsey Whitt, Char McClelland. Standing: Chris Schutte, Joseph Coslett, LCDR Charles Pelton, Joseph Zimmermann, Bob Doehl, Tim Benintendi, Rich Wilson, Aves Thompson, Buddy Whitt, Miles Baker, Adam Leggett, George Vakalis. Not pictured: Steve Ribuffo, Cherie Curry, Jeanne Ostnes, Chad Padgett, Nancy Dahlstrom, Jacqueline Duke, Sen. McGuire, Rep. Millett, Rep. Saddler.
- Press Release: from U.S.S. Anchorage about Alaskan Seaman Boseman Cruz
- Media Invitation:invitation to media event to receive press kit, credentials, and schedule for media tours. Monday, April 29, 2013 at City Hall. 11:30a.m. -12:30p.m.
- Anchorage Centennial Logo: More information about the 2013-2015 event schedule, visit http://www.anchoragecentennial.org/.