Honorees Announced for Mayor’s Awards for the Arts
Event to be held October 26th
Mayor Dan Sullivan, the Anchorage Arts Advisory Commission and the Anchorage Cultural Council have announced the honorees selected for the 11th annual Mayor’s Awards for the Arts in the following categories:
- Outstanding Individual Artist: Steven Wounded Deer Alvarez
- Champion of the Arts: Rasmuson Foundation
- Kay Linton Volunteer in the Arts: Dr. Brian Saylor
- Youth Arts Award: Emily Blahous
- Lorene Harrison Award for Lifetime Achievement: Sandy Harper
- Outstanding Arts Organization: Asian Alaskan Cultural Center
The awards will be presented at a reception in the ConocoPhillips Alaska atrium Wed., Oct. 26, 2011, at 5:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public and will feature the awards ceremony, hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar plus performances by local artists.
Each year, the Mayor's Awards for the Arts recognize individuals and organizations in the Municipality of Anchorage who have significantly enhanced the artistic culture of our community through their talent, time and support. Awardees are presented with award certificates and newly-commissioned artworks by an Anchorage-area artist. This year’s award artworks are a group of metal prints by Mariano Gonzales, winner of the Outstanding Individual Artist award in 2010.
For more information, visit: http://www.anchorageculturalcouncil.org/ and follow the links to the Mayor’s Awards page.
Reporters seeking interviews or more information can call event co-chair Bob Curtis-Johnson at 248-4336.