MOA Proclamation Of Emergency - 2018 Earthquake
MUNICIPALITY OF ANCHORAGE
PROCLAMATION OF EMERGENCY
ISSUED BY THE MAYOR OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF ANCHORAGE PURSUANT TO ANCHORAGE MUNICIPAL CODE SECTION 3.80.040.
WHEREAS on this date an event constituting a Civil Emergency has occurred within the Municipality of Anchorage, specifically: an earthquake has occurred, preliminary magnitude 7.2, which has resulted and threatens to result in further personal injury and property damage, including the collapse of several roadways with possible injuries, damage to some power grids of all local electrical utilities, collapse and fire impacting several buildings, damage to some municipal buildings which would otherwise have been available as mass shelters, and damage to other public and private structures; and
WHEREAS this earthquake poses a grave and immediate threat to the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of the Municipality, in that numerous buildings have been damaged, numerous heavily traveled roads have been severely damaged, and many areas of the Municipality have experienced or may experience interruptions to essential utility services; and
WHEREAS due to damage to property, public facilities and interruption to utility services caused by the earthquake, there is a danger that further personal injury and civil unrest may occur; and
WHEREAS available Municipal infrastructure resources to cope with the consequences of the earthquake and its resultant effects on the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of Anchorage are being evaluated, and additional resources from the State of Alaska may be required; and
WHEREAS the earthquake has caused and may continue to cause additional injury of persons or the destruction of property to such an extent that extraordinary measures must to taken to protect the public order, safety and welfare; and
NOW THEREFORE; pursuant to the authority granted in Article V, Section 5.02 of the Home Rule Charter for the Municipality of Anchorage and AMC 3.80.040, I hereby declare that a Civil Emergency exists within the Municipality of Anchorage based upon the events and circumstances specified above; and
I HEREBY PROCLAIM THE FOLLOWING EMERGENCY REGULATIONS TO BE EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY TO PRESERVE PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE WITHIN AND ADJACENT TO THE MUNICIPALITY. THE FOLLOWING EMERGENCY REGULATIONS HAVE THE POWER OF LAW, SHALL REMAIN IN EFFECT FOR THE DURATION OF THIS EMERGENCY, AND SHALL SUPERSEDE ALL CONFLICTING LAWS DURING THE EXISTENCE OF THIS EMERGENCY.
- The Municipality of Anchorage Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) is hereby activated to the fullest extent necessary to address the effects of the earthquake, including as appropriate all of its provisions. Nothing in this proclamation of emergency shall be construed to limit the powers, authority and responsibilities provided in the EOP.
- The Municipal Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is authorized to request assistance from the State of Alaska for fire protection, law enforcement, and the provision of any other funds, services, functions, supplies or materials determined by the OEM to be necessary to meet public safety and welfare needs arising from or incident to the earthquake and to recover from the damages caused. The Mayor, on behalf of the Municipality, respectfully requests that Governor Bill Walker declare a State condition of disaster emergency under AS 26.23, and make available State resources, including fire protection, law enforcement, and the provision of any other funds, services, functions, supplies or materials necessary to meet the public safety and welfare needs arising from or incident to the earthquake.
- To the fullest extent necessary to implement its responsibilities under the Emergency Operations Plan for the duration of this emergency, each Municipal department may through the department head, cancel any and all employee leave, order any and all employees to immediately report to work, and assume any and all duties necessary to implement the department’s responsibilities under its agency continuity of operations plan, the Municipal Emergency Operations Plan, or as additionally tasked by the OEM.
- In addition to any other power or authority existing under state or municipal law which allow public safety officials to evacuate any areas, the Anchorage Police Chief and Anchorage Fire Chief or her designees shall have the power, in accordance with the EOP, to order any area or structure damaged by the earthquake and any resultant fire or release of hazardous substances within the Municipality to be evacuated, and to take other actions necessary to preserve life and property, and take all other actions necessary to implement an evacuation, including the use of force.
- In addition to any other power or authority existing under state or municipal law, the Anchorage Police Chief or his designed shall have the power, as necessary and appropriate to preserve and protect life and property, to order a curfew on any area of the Municipality requiring all persons in such designated areas to remove themselves from public property or public places, with such curfew applicable to any hours of the day or night as are necessary in the interests of the public safety and welfare.
- The requirements of Chapters 7.15 and 7.20 of the Anchorage Municipal Code (AMC) are hereby suspended for the duration of this emergency, except for the requirements set forth in AMC 7.20.090, for the acquisition of supplies, equipment, services, personnel, fuel or food as may be necessary to implement the Municipal Emergency Operations Plan P or otherwise to preserve and protect the public safety, health and welfare from the earthquake and from the effects thereof.
DATED this 30th day of November, 2018.
MOA Proclamation Of Emergency - 2018 Earthquake