MAYOR DAN SULLIVAN ANNOUNCES POLICE CHIEF SEARCH COMMITTEE
Chief Heun steps down Aug. 15: Deputy Chief Steve Smith will serve in the interim
8/03/2009 | Contacts: Sarah Erkmann, (907) 343-7103
Mayor Dan Sullivan announces the formation of a search committee whose task it is to identify and recommend potential replacements for police chief.
Chief Rob Heun will step down on Sat., Aug 15. Heun expressed interest in pursuing other opportunities in law enforcement, but agreed to serve in his position until transition plans could be developed. Deputy Chief Steve Smith will assume the duties of chief until the search committee completes its work and makes recommendations to the mayor.
"Chief Heun has been an outstanding public servant, and I am grateful that he graciously agreed to stay on to ensure a seamless transition,” said Mayor Sullivan. “He is a stand-up public official, and Anchorage residents should be enormously proud of his accomplishments during his decorated career with APD.”
“It’s been an honor to have served as police chief for the past three years,” said Chief Heun. “I am particularly grateful to the men and women of the APD for their dedication and professionalism, and I wish Mayor Sullivan’s administration success in dealing with the challenges ahead. I’m looking forward to a short retirement and the prospect of future opportunities to work in law enforcement.”
The search committee includes a range of advisers, including experts in law enforcement, community development and business administration. Members will meet for the first time in the next week or so, at which point a formal timeline will be developed.
Members of the search committee include:
• Chuck Anderson, former chief of police, Anchorage Police Department
• Ron McGee, professor at UAA and former director of public affairs, Anchorage Police Dept.
• Ron Otte, former chief of police, Anchorage Police Department,
• Marc Langland, president and CEO, Northrim Bank,
• Sharon Chamard, associate professor at UAA’s Justice Center; president of the Fairview Community Council; vice-chair, Public Safety Advisory Commission
• Carmen Gutierrez, former criminal defense attorney; special assistant to AK Dept. of Corrections Commissioner Joe Schmidt
• Mike Porcaro, CEO, Porcaro Communications.