How Can We Help You?


 Early Morning Fire in Spenard 

  

12/3/2013 | Contact: Al Tamagni 267-4993
Fire Department

On Tuesday morning, December 3rd at approximately 03:21 a.m. the Anchorage Fire Department Dispatch Center received a 9-1-1 call from an occupant at 2308 Jefferson Ave reporting that his apartment was filling with smoke.  Caller stated that he was unable to exit his apartment and was trapped in the bedroom and leaning out the window on the second floor.  AFD dispatched 14 units to the incident.

Upon arrival crews initiated a rescue of the caller from the second floor window of the multi unit apartment building and reported smoke from the roof area.  Crews initiated an attack on the fire and additional crews assisted in evacuating the occupants of the lower units.  The fire was contained to the apartment with a majority of the damage being to the living room with smoke damage throughout the rest of the unit.

All occupants were safely evacuated and no injuries resulted from the fire.

Fire crews stated that the occupant was lucky to be alive as there were no working smoke detectors in the apartment.  Investigation revealed that a chemical fire log from the fire place fell out and ignited the carpet and other debris in the apartment.  Damage and loss are estimated at approximately $30,000.

Anchorage Fire Department wants to remind everyone to check your smoke detectors monthly, keeping in mind that batteries may need to be replaced at least once a year. 

The below link has additional tips on smoke detectors.

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/media/prevention/ffwf-10.shtm

# # #

Featured Links